You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-03 20:12:03

Rock Lee

MULTIPLE QUESTIONS

1- I´m an spanish user, and I´ve configured /etc/rc.local with:

CONSOLEFONT = lat0-16
KEYMAP = es

spanish letters appears well when I write them it in the shell, or using vi editor; but with ls, or in the xffm, an interrogation mark appears in the place of spanish letters . What´s happening?

2- I´ve sound well configured (xmms plays good), but when I use the script of the "Alsa setup" page to create the alsamixer daemon, cutting & paste, the system on boot & halt puts "bad interpreter: No such file or directory bash"?! Why? The files exist of the script, and nothing is misspelled. My solution: put "alsactl restore" at the end of rc.conf

3- How I can achieve autologin? I want that system logs an user by default, don´t asking for password.

4- In grub, I can use "splashimage"??

5- Ey, the kernel2.6 of Archv0.6 install CD doesn´t include ppp module-capabilities?!? I´ve to recompile the kernel to use wvdial?? (this exists with a "segmentation fault" )

Thanks a lot

#2 2004-07-03 21:02:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: MULTIPLE QUESTIONS

Rock Lee wrote:

My solution: put "alsactl restore" at the end of rc.conf

I'd put that in /etc/rc.local rather than rc.conf...  Dunno why the other problems are happening.

3- How I can achieve autologin? I want that system logs an user by default, don´t asking for password.

You could install gdm or kdm to do this for you. I suspect its also possible to do it by manipulating inittab, but I don't know how, if its ever been done, or if it would be a good idea.

5- Ey, the kernel2.6 of Archv0.6 install CD doesn´t include ppp module-capabilities?!? I´ve to recompile the kernel to use wvdial?? (this exists with a "segmentation fault" )

I think the kernel supports ppp, but 2.6 has some issues. Take a look at this link from the wiki, getting ppp working with 2.6 takes some minor tweaking.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ppp … 6%20kernel

Dusty

#3 2004-07-03 21:28:59

i3839

I use autologin, the inittab method. I followed this link:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/chung.html

I did the "The nuts-n-bolts method". If you also start x automatically then don't forget to use /dev/vc/1 instead of /dev/tty1 because Arch uses devfs. You can find out the proper console with running "tty" in the right console. I simply added alias x="exec startx -- -dpi 96" to /etc/profile though.

In inittab I have:

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -n -l /opt/bin/autologin 38400 vc/1 linux

instead of the default c1 line. There I also used the -h option with shutdown so that ctrl+alt+del halts the pc instead of rebooting.

The default Grub supports splashimages, just follow some readme somewhere, the image must be in a certain format mainly. Then it's just a matter of adding the splashimage option to the Grub config.

Good luck with solving problem #1. Maybe you must do "unicode-start", but I don't know really. You could try to use unicode with locale setting. See the charsets, utf-8, unicode, etc. manpages, or try to find some guide somewhere (or perhaps someone with the needed experience can speak up).

#4 2004-07-03 21:38:06

linfocito

Rock Lee wrote:

1- I´m an spanish user, and I´ve configured /etc/rc.local with:

CONSOLEFONT = lat0-16
KEYMAP = es

spanish letters appears well when I write them it in the shell, or using vi editor; but with ls, or in the xffm, an interrogation mark appears in the place of spanish letters . What´s happening?

To fix this put in your ~/.bashrc:

export LC_CTYPE=es_ES

That will make the letters shows correctly without translate anything. If you want i18n programs speaking spanish set LANG and LC_ALL to your locale (probably es_ES) instead of LC_CTYPE.

"...archoholism is a hard disease to cure..."
Archlinux Brasil

Board footer