You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-03 18:35:35

Jedimind

screen for X

I need something like screen for X applications, however I can't find anything useable. Tried searching for it with google and the forum, still no luck. What I really want is to have utorrent (running in wine) to be able to run and that I can change window manager and stuff without having to reopen it.

I could use rTorrent + screen, however not all trackers support it, which is a shame ;/

#2 2008-03-03 18:42:44

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: screen for X

I'm not sure I understand your particular needs, but if you need a temporary window manager to run on top of the current one, Ratpoison has an option "tmpwm" which allows you to do that. I use it to switch to Openbox when I need apps like the Gimp, where a tiling window manager is not ideal. When I quit Openbox I'm straight back to Ratpoison. That's one of the principal reasons why I chose it over other Window Managers smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#3 2008-03-03 18:48:22

axion419

I think rtorrent works fine with all trackers, i use it with encryption just fine for all my torrents, I would make sure you configured it correctly, open the right ports and set up your router correctly.  I don't know of a way to run a WM, launch a program, close the window manager, which would take you out of X, and then launch another WM and open up that same APP.  I think when you close the first WM, you are terminating X, so its not possible.  It is possible to launch a second WM with another running, i do it for games.  But this isn't what you need.

edit, if its for torrents, you could always get a cheap second box, hook it up, and leave it running headless with rtorrent.  Just using the main PC for downloading the torrents, and have them saved to the second box, which is running rtorrent.  This would enable you to shutdown your main pc, but still ssh from anywhere into the second box and download torrents and have them start.  You could do the same thing with rtorrent/screen and your main PC as well.

Last edited by axion419 (2008-03-03 18:50:27)

#4 2008-03-03 19:03:26

Jedimind

axion419 wrote:

think when you close the first WM, you are terminating X, so its not possible.  It is possible to launch a second WM with another running, i do it for games.  But this isn't what you need.

uTorrent has a web ui which works fine, so can I run two WM:s at one time on different tty:s? Then I could run say:

WM One: tty7 (my main one)
WM Two: tty8 (second one with utorrent running)

And switch WM on tty7 and still have uTorrent running on tty8? If that is possible then that solves my problem. I know rTorrent works well with MOST trackers, however one tracker I'm especially fond of bans all client except uTorrent. So I need uTorrent, otherwise I could just use rTorrent + screen as I said smile

#5 2008-03-03 20:09:48

Jedimind

I solved it, inspired by axion419's post I googled on multiple X sessions, and it was easy. I normally just use startx to start X, now I ran:

startx -- :1 -bpp 24

And on tty8 another X session appears and I can kill my X session on tty7 and still have uTorrent running on tty8. Sweet! I must say I like linux more and more every day, it's empowering to able to do just about anything smile

I just need to find out how I can use startx to use different Window managers, but I guess that's in the man page or just a quick search on google away smile

#6 2008-03-03 20:46:20

axion419

this is from the arch wiki entry for steam. 

#!/bin/bash

DISPLAY=:1.0

xinit $HOME/steam.sh $* -- :1

Then add "openbox &" to the top of your steam.sh file.

so can you create a file called utorrent.sh make it excutable, haveit like this

#!/bin/bash

openbox &

# WINE binary
CDLOADER_WINE="wine"

#directory for utorrent here
UTORRENT="$HOME/directory/to/utorrent"

cd "$UTORRENT"

$CDLOADER_WINE "utorrent.exe" -- "$@"

then in a another file x.utorrent.sh

DISPLAY=:1.0

xinit $HOME/utorrent.sh $* -- :1

Then, inside your ~/.xinitrc put in exec ~/.x.utorrent.sh &, it will launch the script, so everytime you do a startx to launch your WM, you automaticly launch the second one with the program running.

Last edited by axion419 (2008-03-03 20:49:31)

#7 2008-03-03 21:22:21

carlocci

You sure have a lot of ram, don't you?

you could use Xvfb from a login shell, or even as a service.

Xvfb -ac :1 &
export DISPLAY=:1
wine /PATH/TO/utorrent

and then you could access it through the web interface.

#8 2008-03-03 22:24:02

Jedimind

carlocci wrote:

You sure have a lot of ram, don't you?

you could use Xvfb from a login shell, or even as a service.

Xvfb -ac :1 &
export DISPLAY=:1
wine /PATH/TO/utorrent

and then you could access it through the web interface.

2GB and I normally don't use more than 400MB, I also have a faster CPU than I need so running multiple X sessions isn't really a problem (unless it gets more unstable with multiple X running, not sure of this however).

#9 2008-04-04 13:02:14

grai

Never used it, but here ya go: http://partiwm.org/wiki/xpra

Board footer