You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-08 16:31:08

gtewallace

Interest in helping get a NetDirector PKGBUILD for Archlinux?

Hi,

I am the project lead for NetDirector, a free and open source (right now we use a modified MPL with attribution - we're moving either to GPLv3 or CPAL) system admiistration tool primarily for servers - www.netdirector.org

NetDirector is focused on managing at the service level - so, it provides robust (one-to-many changes, change scheduling, rollback, etc) and secure (strict role-based authorization and authentication, system communication encrypted in ssl,...) management for many of the most popular Linux server apps like Apache, Samba, DHCP, BIND, Sendmail, FTP, LDAP.  We have a modular architecture, so additional services can be snapped in to NetDirector as plugins.  Things others have expressed interest in are a plugin for Asterisk, ClamAV, Snort, quotas, MySQL and so on.  Also, we have a plugin to Red Hat Network that extends NetDirector's role-based access control, one-to-many actions, scheduling and rollback to patching and provisioning done with RHN.  Something like this to Pacman would be cool!!

I got turned on to Archlinux by a user.

I would love to see if anyone out here would like to help us get NetDirector packaged up and available through the Archlinux content repos. 

Also, there are a variety of other things we could use some developer help on, too.  If you want to get involved and know Java, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

#2 2007-09-10 15:20:53

Blind

Re: Interest in helping get a NetDirector PKGBUILD for Archlinux?

Hi,

this might not be the best place to ask for help, as netdirector seems to be a pretty big and sophisticated package.
To get into contact with the devs, which might be interested in including this package in one of the supported repositories, you want to post to the mailing list.

Cheers,
Blind

#3 2007-09-10 16:14:58

tardo

Sigh, actually, i started to write PKGBUILDs for this so that in the very least I could throw them in the AUR, but that didn't take me far. First package I tried to build came down with errors =[ (and I don't even know Java, nor am I that familiar with the ant build system).

I'll post the error messages then perhaps you can help me fix them... until then, how about telling me the build order? Besides the plugin packages I see a NetDirector, NetDirector-Server-Agent, and NetDirector-Server-Manager... which ones do I build in what order? does NetDirector contain NetDirector-Server-Agent/Manager?

#4 2007-09-10 20:15:58

gtewallace

Hi guys,

thanks for rolling up your sleeves on this.

to get a sense of the NetDirector architecture, check out this page:  http://www.netdirector.org/index.php?op … &Itemid=49

I hope it will help in terms of understanding the build process.  Since NetDirector is a client/server tool, you need one server manager and one server agent installed on each server that you use netdirector to manage.  Server Manager is by far the more complicated of the two pieces.  Written in Java, it contains a database (mysql or postgresql), tomcat, the netdirector change management engine, the agent listener and more.  The Server Agent is simple by contrast - written in Python, we designed the Agents to be pretty dumb so as not to gobble up toomany resources.

I've asked my more technical partner to also reply to this forum in order to give you guys guidance

Blind and Tardo - do you thihnk we should see how we make out here before I put this request to the mailing list?

Thanks

Greg

#5 2007-09-10 20:28:48

tardo

gtewallace wrote:

Blind and tardo - do you thihnk we should see how we make out here before I put this request to the mailing list?

This ultimately depends on your goal.  If you want NetDirector in official repositories (current/extra), you'd need the support of a dev who's willing to maintain it. If you want it in community, an Trusted User (or perhaps a dev) can maintain it.

Otherwise I can throw it in the AUR where people have access to the PKGBUILDs, so they can easily built and install it themselves (just no pre-built binaries).

I'd suggest we get some working packages first, then you can put up a request on the ML =]

Last edited by tardo (2007-09-10 20:29:14)

#6 2007-09-10 20:39:29

gtewallace

I like your suggestion - thanks Tardo.

look for more guidance on the builds from us here shortly

Greg

#7 2007-09-12 17:28:12

tardo

here's my build output:

http://rafb.net/p/R6Idma34.html

#8 2007-09-13 12:49:59

gtewallace

awesome - thanks!

I was thinking of sending a quick email to registered NetDirector users (those with accounts at www.netdirector.org) linking to this page and asking for testers - what do you think?

Greg

#9 2008-03-04 12:14:44

zenlord
Website

Any news on this? I just came across netdirector and it seems like an incredible tool...

Zl.

Board footer