You are not logged in.

#26 2008-02-29 16:47:30

dolby

Re: tiling wms

xmonad (as its based on dwm) is much easier to configure than ion

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#27 2008-02-29 17:03:03

madSergey

Why is xmonad based on dwm? Dwm is written in plain C; xmonad is a independent project written in Haskell.

#28 2008-02-29 17:07:19

ido

More accurately put - it's a clone of dwm. For more information read the Wikipedia entry.

#29 2008-02-29 18:58:38

ph0tios

jonkristian wrote:
ph0tios wrote:

I'm not much of a programmer, and it is somewhat straightforward, but I find myself getting frustrated with modifying it. I suppose I'm not getting the concept. I initially tried the tutorial linked from the xmonad website on running it in xfce, until I actually had time to sit down and configure dzen, etc. But even then when I tried to modify the config it output errors. Hm.

I was also looking for a good tiling wm, i found dwm to lack some features, and xmonad was kind of good, but hard to get right.
You should check out awesome, it has an easier configuration, and you can use widgets with it, for example, see sen's post/config:

post #291 for screenshot & #303 for configs
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43217&p=12

Thanks. I think I might stick with awesome for a while after all. I'm starting to get the hang of the config and whatnot. I've been able to add the time, etc, but you do have any idea how I would add my laptop battery stats to the bar. I'm sure you do it the same way as the other stuff, but not exactly sure what information I need.

#30 2008-03-01 02:06:02

upsidaisium
Website

i think the simplest way to get the status of your battery would be to use the output of the acpi command.  you can also get some other info from that command.. check out the help / man page for the command options.

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#31 2008-03-01 06:41:43

jbromley

I use a tiling wm -- usually ratpoison or wmii -- and I'm curious about how people feel about the "dynamic tiling" used by dwm, awesome and xmonad. In particular, do you really find it most efficient to have one main window and the rest of your windows scrunched into a second pane?

My LCD is wide enough for two apps side-by-side. I've found with dwm et al, once I get more than about four windows open the second pane quickly becomes unusable because when you scrunch three or more windows into the second pane they each get a few hundred pixels at most, which for me makes them almost useless for seeing what is in those windows. How do you dwm/awesome/xmonad users deal with this? Do you make heavy use of tags to avoid piling applications up in the second window? It seems to me that I must be missing something about how to efficiently work with them.

(I know xmonad is very configurable, I am referring to the default "dynamic tiling" setup.)

Regards,
j

#32 2008-03-01 07:49:10

eerok

jbromley wrote:

I use a tiling wm -- usually ratpoison or wmii -- and I'm curious about how people feel about the "dynamic tiling" used by dwm, awesome and xmonad. In particular, do you really find it most efficient to have one main window and the rest of your windows scrunched into a second pane?

To be honest, I find the restrictive aspect of a tiling WM (I use Xmonad) to be the most useful thing about it.  For example, if I'm going to concentrate on LaTeX-crunching, I'll put up GVim and Acroread.  Maybe Sonata as well.  What else would I need for this job?  If I crave a distraction, then I'm going to have to either explicitly leave this desktop or mess it up.

You see, it's purely psychological IMO.  You don't want to mess up your nice working desktop, so you're more inclined to keep working.  At least that's how it is with me: the efficiency is in the restrictions.

jbromley wrote:

My LCD is wide enough for two apps side-by-side. I've found with dwm et al, once I get more than about four windows open the second pane quickly becomes unusable because when you scrunch three or more windows into the second pane they each get a few hundred pixels at most, which for me makes them almost useless for seeing what is in those windows. How do you dwm/awesome/xmonad users deal with this? Do you make heavy use of tags to avoid piling applications up in the second window? It seems to me that I must be missing something about how to efficiently work with them.

(I know xmonad is very configurable, I am referring to the default "dynamic tiling" setup.)

As I suggested, I arrange very task-specific desktops and don't load them up with extra crap.  I seldom really need more than three things going for a particular task.  What I like about tiling WMs is that they encourage me to do this.   If I want to do nothing in particular -- just range around and follow whims -- then I log into Openbox, where I can do whatever I want with no consequences.

Of course, others may see things differently smile

noobus in perpetuus

#33 2008-03-01 16:18:06

marte

@jbromley: yeah, i just separate windows in workspaces / tags. each workspace for one kind of task, and each of them with no more then three or four windows.

#34 2008-03-01 18:53:47

vogt

jbromley wrote:

In particular, do you really find it most efficient to have one main window and the rest of your windows scrunched into a second pane?

The rest is usually less than 5, and a 230 x 800 px window is still pretty useful when it is a terminal (urxvt).

The default configuration of xmonad allows you to change the number of windows in the master pane with M-comma M-space. That should get you more windows in.

More to the point, you dont keep unrelated windows on the same workspace, which automatically gives the stuff you are working with more than enough space: to get a pretty optimal layout, you just decide which window goes in the master, and send unrelated windows to their workspaces/tags (but that can happen automatically based on x properties).

#35 2008-03-02 18:02:29

jinn

+1 awesome

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#36 2008-03-03 06:37:02

ph0tios

For all those who recommend awesome? How did you manage to get conky info in the status bar. I've tried, and cannot get it to work. I followed the wiki exactly.

#37 2008-03-03 08:27:39

jonkristian
Website

ph0tios wrote:

For all those who recommend awesome? How did you manage to get conky info in the status bar. I've tried, and cannot get it to work. I followed the wiki exactly.

When i get home later today, i will post something:)

PROCRASTINATION
is like masturbation...it's good in the beginning, but in the end, you realize
you've just fkd yourself

#38 2008-03-03 09:38:39

Gigamo

ph0tios wrote:

This is because by default conky cannot interpretate awesome-client stuff, and thus doesnt understand the "0 widget_tell ...". Sec over at the #awesome irc channel made a modified version of conky which includes all the required awesome parts, to make it work like that.

Grab the pkgbuild here, and make sure to remove your current conky first: http://ca.hnvc.net/awesome-git/conky.tar.gz

jonkristian wrote:

When i get home later today, i will post something:)

Sorry for stealing your thunder! smile

Last edited by Gigamo (2008-03-03 09:40:32)

#39 2008-03-03 09:58:18

jonkristian
Website

Gigamo, no problem at all! I really appreciate people that are as helpful as you are! smile

PROCRASTINATION
is like masturbation...it's good in the beginning, but in the end, you realize
you've just fkd yourself

#40 2008-03-03 19:22:24

ph0tios

Thanks guys! that did the trick. Now I just need to configure it to look pretty. Awesome is awesome...haha

Edit: should I install the awesome in AUR? Is there any advantage to that. And it doesn't seem like the git version is the newest one.

Last edited by ph0tios (2008-03-03 19:40:38)

#41 2008-03-04 13:10:22

N30N

Seems I'm a bit late as you/ph0tios are/is already happy with Awesome.

I use python-wmii, It's a great base configuration to build off of if you know python and wish to use wmii.

#42 2008-03-04 16:35:09

ph0tios

Thanks, I'll look into it though. In the mean time I have to figure out why $sysname $kernel, and $machine are not working in conky.

#43 2008-03-04 19:25:25

Gigamo

ph0tios: the awesome-git in the AUR is the latest version. 2.2-rc3 to be more correct.

#44 2008-03-04 21:05:11

ph0tios

Gigamo: Do I need to uninstall the awesome binary before I install that the git version?

Oh and Is there a reason that $sysname $kernel and $machine don't work with the that conky version? Maybe I compiled it wrong or something?

#45 2008-03-05 04:15:42

jbromley

ph0tios wrote:

Oh and Is there a reason that $sysname $kernel and $machine don't work with the that conky version? Maybe I compiled it wrong or something?

I have this problem as well, but I have never figured out why it is happening. At least you know you're not the only one.

Regards,
j

#46 2008-03-05 22:23:50

ph0tios

Well, it is good to know I'm not the only one. But kind of disappointing that it is also a problem for others.

#47 2008-03-10 01:05:12

leo2501

im going to test for miself wmii and ratpoison, i now use fluxbox and like it so much, but i was looking for something new, some new very lightweight tiled wm that allows me to have a lot of transparent aterm's at once, all legible, dont really understand the diferences in for example wmii and xmonad, that dynamic windows thing...

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#48 2008-03-10 02:07:36

freakcode
Website

Thanks to the screenshots thread and this one, I tried awesome and... I have to say, it's indeed awesome. I tried other tilling wms before, but awesome just worked right away with floating and dialog windows. Plus, it doesn't have any nonsense for configuration: it's just a tree-based rc file.

I've done a ruby script for showing info on its statusbars/widgets, like clock, date & calendar, rss feeds with scrolling text, weather report from Yahoo, and so on... Pretty nice if you ask me. Along with easy configuration for any keyboard shortcut I want, awesome is the most hackable wm I've ever seen - finally I'm doing the desktop of my dreams smile

#49 2008-03-12 10:42:30

leo2501

xmonad download size... hmm lol...

[aleyscha@aleyscha ~]$ yaourt -S xmonad xmonad-contrib
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets: ghc-6.8.2-1  haskell-x11-1.4.1-1  xmonad-0.6-1  xmonad-contrib-0.6-1  

Total Download Size:    58.36 MB
Total Installed Size:   68.43 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#50 2008-03-12 11:15:47

shining
Pacman Developer

leo2501 wrote:

xmonad download size... hmm lol...
Targets: ghc-6.8.2-1  haskell-x11-1.4.1-1  xmonad-0.6-1  xmonad-contrib-0.6-1

Well, it's not xmonad itself.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Board footer