You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-04 18:59:23

Phrodo_00
Website

how do I know my power button is detected/how do I make it work?

Howdy, I have a issue in my laptop, it  seems I cannot do much about suspend to ram or restarting (for some reason it doesn't start back so I have to shut it down and then turn it on, restarting is useless anyway once it's configured), however I'd like to make it suspend to disk when I press the button, I have the acpi daemon running and everything is set as in the wiki (in fact I have it shuting down now, just in case it was the suspend command). The power button appears in /proc/bus/input/devices, yet when I press it nothing hapens at all... any ideas?

btw, it's a toshiba satellite 1805-s204, is there anything else I need to post?

#2 2008-03-04 21:02:24

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: how do I know my power button is detected/how do I make it work?

Are you using pm-utils? If not, you should look into it--It's a super-easy way of managing suspend/hibernation:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils

Once configured, you can simply bind a key (or configure the acpi daemon) to execute the following command:

/usr/sbin/pm-hibernate

You'll need to execute that as root, or use sudo (which is outlined in the wiki article).

Good luck!

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2008-03-04 22:49:21

Phrodo_00
Website

thayer wrote:

Are you using pm-utils? If not, you should look into it--It's a super-easy way of managing suspend/hibernation:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils

Once configured, you can simply bind a key (or configure the acpi daemon) to execute the following command:

/usr/sbin/pm-hibernate

You'll need to execute that as root, or use sudo (which is outlined in the wiki article).

Good luck!

thanks, pm-utils looks nice, however, I'm having problems with the button itself, not hibernate, I can do that just fine with the hibernate script (I'm replacing it with pm-utils though), no mater how much I press it, or how much I've messed with acpid, I still cannot make it do anything... btw, is there something that catches the button as a program, so I can know if the module is getting info from it?

#4 2008-03-04 23:00:24

thayer
Fellow
Website

Ah ha... you'll probably want to look into the Hotkeys wiki then:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hotkeys

xbindkeys works great if you want the functionality in X, otherwise there are a couple other methods mentioned if you need them in the console.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2008-03-04 23:04:03

brebs

pacman -S xorg-utils

Then run "xev" as your normal user.

Set up xbindkeys or xhotkeys to perform the action when the button is pressed.

#6 2008-03-05 00:05:56

Phrodo_00
Website

thayer wrote:

Ah ha... you'll probably want to look into the Hotkeys wiki then:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hotkeys

xbindkeys works great if you want the functionality in X, otherwise there are a couple other methods mentioned if you need them in the console.

ok, I'll look into that, btw, you are now my hero for sugesting pm-utils, now I can suspend to ram just fine, thank you!

EDIT: the freaking key doesn't even has a scan code, as I don't know about this stuff I tried my desktop's and it has scancode (that was just assuring myself)... any other idea?... =\

Last edited by Phrodo_00 (2008-03-05 00:19:45)

Board footer