You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-28 15:20:06

Laser

No network available, so I need to access Internet through my laptop.

Hello,

I've installed Arch but I got a problem that I need Internet access to run pacman. Recently I was using Sierra AirCard to access which now needs a lot of efforts to restore it in Linux. However, I thought that I can ping pacman via a network cable, but the problem is how? On Windows I've edited the IP and the gateway then I've added them to Arch through the following:

# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# route add default gw 192.168.0.2

but nothing appears to be OK until now. When I do ping the IP on Windows it times out.

BTW I'm completely new to Linux, so please add some explanations on how to do things.

Regards,

Laser

#2 2008-02-28 16:22:19

SiC

Re: No network available, so I need to access Internet through my laptop.

Ok, first of all if you are directly connecting the machines together, you need to make sure you are running with a crossover cable and not a standard patch cable. 

If you have done that, then you need to run the network setup wizard within windows, which will setup the machine to allow you to connect through it. Once you have done that, you set the eth0 adaptor to use dhcp, and you should be connected.

#3 2008-03-05 03:57:02

Laser

Re: No network available, so I need to access Internet through my laptop.

Thank you SiC,

I've followed your instructions until setting eth0 to use DHCP. Shall I run the following?

# dhcpcd eth0

It gets an error:

Error, eth0: timed out

What should I do next?

Board footer