You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-05 00:30:31

Nathan P

Help, KDM problems with kdemod

Just updated my system and I am running into a few graphical issues with KDEmod.  I changed the default login screen to one found on KDELook that I liked better.  When I updated, this screen was changed back to the standard KDEMod theme'd one.  I switched it back, but now the background when the splash screen is loading is the same standard one from KDEmod, so there's a weird change from the one in my KDM, to the splash, to my desktop.  How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Nathan

#2 2008-03-05 02:48:49

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Re: Help, KDM problems with kdemod

It's the splash backround, or the login manager background. Check everything in KControl.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#3 2008-03-05 15:49:55

pelle.k

That's a kdm *theme*, just as a gdm *theme* will override the standard greeter, and thus the BG pic you set there.
Install kdemod-kdmtheme and disable "themes". If you wan't to keep that black themed greeter from this particular theme, but with another BG pic, you'll have to edit the theme in question manually.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#4 2008-03-05 16:54:48

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

And oh yeah, funkyou et al have done another nifty tool for us. It's called "KDEmod theme settings" and you can find it in KMenu. The related scripts are all in /opt/kde/bin smile

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#5 2008-03-06 05:00:34

Nathan P

Well I have the kdm theme changed and it's background is fine.  It's when the loading thing comes up (Forget what it's called) that the background changes.  How can I manually change the background pic for this screen?

#6 2008-03-06 12:27:01

pelle.k

You are referring to the "splash" screen. Are you saying the splash has it's own BG pic, i.e. not the kdm *or* the desktop BG that is?
Another question; are you still using a "theme" or did you disable it with kdmtheme?

You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.

SETH / Jane Roberts

#7 2008-03-06 14:06:57

funkyou
Website

Some infos about how the KDM theme and splash screen are working in KDEmod:

The KDE theme has its own wallpaper.
The Splash screen is only a "window" with a transparent background.

As the wallpaper will not be kept when the splash starts and the use of kdplash-engine-flexible making it difficult to use its own wallaper, we used a small trick and just added a _normal_ KDM background. It is not shown in KDM, because it is overdrawn by the wallpaper defined in the theme, but it will stay behind the splash = mission accomplished smile

To change the _normal_ KDM background (this is what you want), open kcontrol --> system administration --> login manager and disable the wallpaper there. Dont disable the whole background, but just switch to another wallpaper or a solid color...

Last edited by funkyou (2008-03-06 14:07:18)

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#8 2008-03-06 15:38:08

pelle.k

Ah yes. if the "kdm *theme*" has a BG, that would disappear when the splash starts, because the splash displays whatever the "kde *greeter*" uses as BG (even though you'd think the greeter wouldn't be involved when useing a theme), so the kdemod team did set them *both* to that kdemod BG. A little "hack" you might say wink
So in effect, if you change the BG in the theme (by opening the theme package and modifying the actual files), you also need to change the kdm greeter to match that BG (so that the splash matches, really).
Do you understand now Nathan?

I took the easy route. disabled themes, set a greeter BG, and thus the splash and greeter use the same BG.

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer