#176 2007-12-09 19:18:06

delphiki
Website

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

@litwell: Indeed, for as the slogan goes, "He'll be back for more..."

#177 2007-12-10 07:05:09

drum

I've been using Arch for 9 months or more and now I've got it on my 2 boxes and 2 laptops (IBM T61 & T43).
I've tried many other distros but feel like I've come home when my Arch/Gnome boots up.
It feels so solid and classy and never misses a beat. I just accept every pacman -Syu update that comes in and never had a problem. Nvidia works and so does wireless, streaming audio and video.
I'm a noob but I've learned more about linux while using Arch than any other distro.
Thanks to all.
Regards
drum

bebop lives

#178 2007-12-13 02:54:10

sjb933

Yep! Use it, love it.

As it is right now, i've got a pretty killer desktop/gaming box running Windows Vista (gag).  It's a core2dua @ 3.4 Ghz, 3 Gigs ram, 8800gts... yadda yadda.  Bells a whistles.

Meanwhile, I've got arch installed on a ~3-4 year old Dell Inspiron 8600..  Even at home I tend to use the laptop more now.  I like to tinker with arch, and it's more enjoyable for me overall.  I want to put it on my desktop, and I may soon.  I use Media Center a lot though, and dunno about Myth yet.

-Shane

#179 2008-01-07 19:54:13

thisllub

Arch took me longer than any other distro to get X working correctly but it seems to be worth the wait.
I have been using Linux since  SUSE 6.0 (about 9 years) and tried plenty of distros in that time.
Everything is noticeably faster and more stable in Arch.

Well done.

#180 2008-01-07 20:29:05

WiLLiE

thisllub wrote:

Arch took me longer than any other distro to get X working correctly...

Why? I have used the same xorg.conf for the last years in various distros.

#181 2008-01-10 05:53:35

newcar

I registered here just to say thank you for such a great distro. I have used all the Big distros and Arch is the best so far, i hope it keeps getting better and better!

As soon as i getting hackin into arch ill start contributing... hehe

Thx again!

#182 2008-01-11 06:08:17

thisllub

WiLLiE wrote:
thisllub wrote:

Arch took me longer than any other distro to get X working correctly...

Why? I have used the same xorg.conf for the last years in various distros.

I use three monitors and 2 GEFORCE 7300SE NVIDIA cards.

The only NVIDIA driver that would work was the 169.07 compiled from the NVIDIA site.
It was only released about a week before I did the Arch install.

After the pacman driver failed I tried the 9755 driver. Later drivers had bugs that caused problems in the Debian system I still have on another partition (It has only been used once since I installed Arch smile
Believe me I read the instructions very carefully after a similar experience with Fedora and the Livna drivers.

I still use the same xorg.conf I set up when I built the machine.

Last edited by thisllub (2008-01-11 06:09:12)

#183 2008-02-07 08:45:23

B15HOP

Arch is one of my favorite distro's. Only because i'm technically minded, and right into this stuff. I have strayed from arch only to come running back wondering why I left in the first place. It's not perfect. But with a bit of effort, it sings.

"The ecological crisis is a moral issue."

#184 2008-02-09 10:10:29

kungfoo

I have said it before and will say it again:

Arch is the BEST friggin' distro out there. Keep it up guys, never stop adapting as fast as you do. You actually make me believe in stuff that goes far beyond linux or OSS. big_smile

One thing that has to be said: pacman rocks any other package managers butt.

#185 2008-02-11 17:19:50

lordchaos

I've been using many distros over the past few years.  Fedora and *Ubuntu mainly.  Xubuntu is very good, but I felt like I wasn't getting the full potential from my machine.  So I installed Archlinux a week ago on my Inspiron 1300, everything works great!  Building everything from the console rocks, at least you get what you want and you learn a lot!  I'm now converted.  Thanks to the Archlinux team!

(My desktop = Xfce with Compiz-fusion)

#186 2008-02-11 18:43:47

eerok

I can't remember why I drifted away from arch in 2005, but I'm glad I'm back now.  Just a couple of days in, and I have one of the sweetest and best-configured boxes I've ever had -- and I've been playing with linux since I first installed slack in 1995.

The big differences from 2005 that I notice are the wiki and AUR.  They really enhance the arch experience, IMO.  You guys have been busy and have done well.  Thanks for all the great work -- I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking around longer this time smile

noobus in perpetuus

#187 2008-02-13 11:17:06

Shagbag

I first heard about Arch on The Linux Link Tech Show where Dan and Pat raved about its speed (and they still do).
However, I was too scared to try it as I'd heard it was ***puts on QUAKE-4 like voice*** "only for advanced linux users" and I hadn't had much experience at the time.  Then one of the forum members, Pudge, gave me some encouragement and his install guide - and that was it: I was hooked.
I've been using Arch for around 18 months now and continue to discover things about Arch I never even knew existed when I first started with it.  AUR is just the cat's.
Thanks Pudge, thanks Arch devs and thanks Arch community!

#188 2008-02-18 03:23:03

thejinx0r

Hey Guys,

This is my first post here smile

Anyways, way back, I think Arch was the very first distro I tried. Version 0.4 I believe with the Tetris game during the installer. (I think it was arch, I remembered the old "arch" logo) Anyways, it wasn't such a good idea.

That put me off for a while.

Tried it again, SATA was not supported very well before so every distro I tried had a hard time getting past it. Tried PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Suse,  Ubuntu, Fedora. They were all great. Suse and Fedora managed to install. But the biggest problem was wireless: newbie + linux + wireless + with one computer w/o google = hell.

That put me off for another while.

I tried Gentoo for a while. That just worked for me. (Aside from manually building wireless drivers).
emerge was a simple concept yet intuititve. But, way too easy too fuck since XGL came out abit after I started using Gentoo and apparently, from then, I  discovered that I screw up my linux distro on a regular basis. So, I went with Kororaa since it was one of the first few to be able to release a live CD with XGL and I stayed there for a few months. Then, the screw ups appeared again and again..

So, I ditched it for a while and went back to windows...  0-0

Tried some more distro's on and off.  PCLinuxOS 2007 was an incredible release for them.
Elive worked as well for me as well for being "simple" and debian based. Ubuntu worked for a little. But too many package conflicts and too many user repos to handle. Back to windows... :S

Now,
I'm still on it... Windows...
I don't think I can live without it.

But I'm currently running inside of it with Virtual Box.
It's pretty damn snappy considering that my laptop is only a 1.2Ghz core duo with 2gb ram.
Wasn't expecthing something responsive at all...

The weekend is over and I need my laptop for school.
In a couple of weeks, when I have my march break, gonna give this a try.

Installing KDE was a piece of cake compared to gentoo. (took me >12 hours of compiling on my old computer to get Gnome up and running ... 0-0)

I just hope it's even more snappier when it's actually installed and not runnig from a virtual desktop big_smile

Anyways, see you guys around tongue

(Sorry for my life story of linux)

#189 2008-02-18 21:14:45

natern

First Post!
I justed installed Arch on my new Asus EEE pc, and I love it! (EEE is a sub-compact notebook with 512mb ram, 4gb solid state drive, 900Mhz processor, 7" LCD weighing less than 1kg.... all for $350+tax.) I had never tried or really heard of Arch before, but after reading through some of the eeeuser.com forum threads, I decided to give it a try since I wanted something fairly small, fast, easily configured and full-featured. I was thinking of going with slackware, but  I wanted to be able to quickly add new software and keep up to date (like gentoo, but without the size + compile time). Now that Ive seen how beautifully Arch combines my two favorite distros, I don't think I'll ever use anything else again! Thank you soo much for all the great work that everyone has put into this and from searching around, I can already tell that Arch has a great community, all my questions had already been asked and answered!
Thanks again!
natern

#190 2008-02-19 10:26:51

Aitch

One more convert to Archlinux who just wants to say thanks for a great distro.  I had bought a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad but the Linux loaded version was not an option in Norway yet.  So I parked Vista (couldn't believe how bad that was) and loaded Ubuntu.  Almost everything worked out of the box.  Where's the fun in that?

So it was onto triple boot, but which distro to use?  I had tried Gentoo before, liked the concept but found the support patchy.  So thought I'd try Archlinux - perfect!   Great mix of flexibility, control and really well put together Wiki to guide my steps when I faltered.  I have to thank you all and, now I've joined the community, find a way of contributing.

H

#191 2008-02-26 02:35:50

akageyama

I'm using Arch for the first time.
I've tried quite a lot of other distros, but, as the same problem of the first post, I don't have a much powerful machine to do it (Dell Latitude, C600, P3750mhz, 128m).
So, I've tried using WinXP-Pro for a while, but the speed of the OS to load was tooooo slow...
Then, a friend of mine told me about Arch. I've downloaded and, for the first time I loaded, I didn't like... I was thinking that the basic setup would install a DM and a WM itself. My biggest problem was: how to install a DM??? Then, I've decided reading about. smile
After reading much beginner's materials, I could finally understand how Arch works. And I had a so big surprise when everything was configured and the OS was running quite fast! I'm using Xfce4 as the session manager, Pidgin, the OpenOffice Suite application, firefox as a browser and, what else could I need more? It's working just fine.
As I'm from Brazil, I preferred translating the system languages and configure my keyboard map for Brazilian region. I'm proud of myself because I could do everything myself, just reading, trying, reading, trying... And everything is working so perfect.
I've already used RedHat, Slackware, Conectiva RedHat and Ubuntu. But Arch is too good!!!
I'm using it to work! I recommend!!!

Last edited by akageyama (2008-02-26 02:38:54)

#192 2008-02-26 19:34:27

Lord Illidan

I've switched to Arch from Ubuntu Linux. It works perfectly. It was harder to install, and needed some tweaking, but excellent documentation took care of that!

#193 2008-03-02 19:54:48

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

It's very interesting to hear that from an Ubuntu Forums moderator big_smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#194 2008-03-08 00:58:37

blubbo

My first contact with the Penguin was an eternity ago with Slackware. I did get stuff running, got into X but then... I don't know. Since then I've had run ins with Red Hat, Suse, Fedora (eek!) and most recently Gentoo, which I still run on an old server, and now I'm here. Arch just makes me all warm and fuzzy. ^^ It still is the same Penguin underneath though... and what a Penguin it is!

Ah well, thought I'd say a few words in the one (some what) introductory thread I could find.

Party on contest winners, party on!

*bzzzzzt*

#195 2008-03-09 16:34:43

Bonzodog

I have just started using Arch Linux after coming over from Zenwalk Linux, though I still run that on my Laptop; the desktop runs Arch.

I am enjoying this immensely.

#196 2008-03-12 16:56:36

Chaniyth

I have to admit I am loving Arch Linux, even more so than my love for Gentoo Linux. yikes

I used Ubuntu since 7.04, because of several Gentoo portage breakages... Ubuntu whilst very easy to install, is simply unfortunately slow.

Hooray for Arch Linux! I think this is the distro i'll be using in the long run. cool

#197 2008-03-12 17:33:23

Paul-S

I was a long time fedora/redhat user, but used virtually all the distros at some time or other and the speed of arch is a real shock.
But a nice kind of shock smile I'll be sticking with Arch for a long time.

#198 2008-03-14 01:37:18

ScriptDevil

Reasons I personally like Arch
1) I like stuff that is quick -> Arch Wins
2) I hate my mouse         -> Arch helps me win
3) I don't mind compiling but i most certainly need some installs to be done in a jiffy when i am in hurry -> ABS + Pacman Ruleth the world!
4) I like it when the community does not have absolute noobies. (Sorry about this.. But it is irritating in the opensuse IRC channel where every 2nd question is like how do i list a directory or how do i get the cube) Gentoo and Arch impressed me with their right mix. IMHO, if you are a super noob, learn to use google google is your friend http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/
5) I like rolling distros.
6) It is all about choice! I like the GNU philosophy. But i do need stuff like flash, acroread. Yeah I do know about gnash and xpdf. But I am not a C coder and though gnash is good, xpdf has a real eyesore of an interface. (Interfaces are specific to the user's eye). Don't get me wrong!
7) I like libraries and compilers that are upto date. eg. python 2.5, ruby 1.8.6 (i rarely use 1.9.. anyway...), and ghc 6.8
8) I like that rc.conf idea.
9) I looooooooooooooooooove pacman
10) I liked that guitar playing Judd and the ever responsive phrakture, iphitus, dusty and cactus and the rest!
11) Lastly. I like optimised barebones(Arch proved it is not oxymoron). I have a core2duo E6550 with 2 gig RAM. Arch faster than anything other than Haiku. (Never used Mac OSX.). I like wmii + mplayer + emacs + firefox(heavy but great) + mc + irssi.

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#199 2008-03-28 22:18:48

respite

I ran slackware for around 10 years. I grew tired of slow updates and installing loads of dependencies to get one desired piece of software to compile. I ran debian, some other random gnu/linux distros, bsd distros, switching every few months, then ran ubuntu for a year. I grew to find enough things i didnt like about each system to cause me to wander.

The tagline for arch was enough to make me want to install it. Turns out arch linux is exactly what ive wanted in a gnu/linux distro for years. Small base install. Package system which resolves dependencies. A simple and logical /etc. No clutter.

Ive only been running arch for a few weeks now, but i feel very confident in stating that im done with the distro shuffle for years to come.

Thanks for the effort and cheers to all the developers.

Screaming obscenities since 1979.

#200 2008-03-29 17:10:40

ewl

Every time I try Arch out it gets better. It seems to be a lot more stable than it has been in the past. Pacman is just great. It's better than apt-get. Arch has the simplicity of slackware with the ease of use of debian. I'm a bit of a distro hopper, but I think I might be sticking with it for a while.

Board footer