You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-08 07:33:59

mahy

Safe and easy way to install Xorg on an ancient Arch machine?

Hi y'all,

i need to put Xorg onto a company server running Arch Linux. However, this particular system hasn't been upgraded for about two years, and upgrading so many packages at once might put it out of business (at least according to our admin).

Compiling Xorg directly from sources found at www.x.org mirrors seems to be a horrible task too. It looks like i'll have to download, unpack and compile every single module separately, and then put it somehow manually together.

Isn't there an easier way of achieving this? What i need is a working X on our machine, without running the risk of hosing that rig. What would be the best approach? Thx for any suggestions.

#2 2008-03-08 07:43:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Safe and easy way to install Xorg on an ancient Arch machine?

Your admin is correct about the risk of upgrading. Arch works best when it's kept up to date.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you need X on it? It's usually avoided on servers. There might be a better way to do what you want to do.

If you do end up compiling it from source, remember that you will only have to build the modules your server needs, not "every single module".

Board footer