You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-08 09:57:43

ezzetabi

If a maintainer does not update its package, what happens?

I do not want to blame anyone, but every time I update the system with pacman -Suy I read:
'warning: re2c: local (0.13.2-1) is newer than extra (0.13.0-1)'
According to http://re2c.org/ the version 0.13.0 become out of date the 20070824. It is pretty long ago.

So I was wondering what the Archlinux policy about people who silently abandon the packages is.

#2 2008-03-08 10:05:37

dolby

Re: If a maintainer does not update its package, what happens?

send him an email.
there is no policy about "abandoned" packages. from now on i propose we start burning them in the town square. any medieval torture would probably suffice as well.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2008-03-08 10:15:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: If a maintainer does not update its package, what happens?

Short answer: it has not been silently abandoned - it is simply out of date. It will be updated when the maintainer has the time to do it.

Longer answer: critical updates e.g. the recent kernel exploit and e2fsprogs issue, are handled promptly. No doubt, re2c is important to you, but the update is not critical. You appear to have handled it in the Arch Way i.e. by building the newer version for yourself, and the only 'issue' you are reporting here is the information provided by pacman during system updates.

The maintainer knows it is out of date, and the only policy we apply to package maintenance is common sense.

Board footer