You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-04 20:40:45

gejr

Control a Linux box graphically from Windows

First, I hope this is the right place to ask a question like this. Forum categories always confuse me smile

I wonder what ways it's possible to control a computer running Linux graphically from Windows. I use ssh for almost everything, but sometimes it's just convenient to be able to interact with the WM. I would prefer something that works with X in general, and not bound to Gnome/KDE etc. I have tried VNC, which I'm not sure is able to do this very well. First...It doesn't seem to control display :0, it just creates a new display on the X server. There is x11vnc, but I haven't managed to get it to work from a windows client. I don't get it..do I need to have openbox and Xorg installed on the client to be able to open a vnc connection to a machine with this WM?

What would you do to control your (Arch)Linux machine from a Windows client this way? Does X.Org have such a feature inbuilt? How does it work in that case?

#2 2008-03-04 20:53:56

rumil

Re: Control a Linux box graphically from Windows

#3 2008-03-04 21:19:48

gejr

NX can't control display :0 (the running session) either, can it?

#4 2008-03-04 22:28:47

signor_rossi

gejr wrote:

NX can't control display :0 (the running session) either, can it?

No, it can't, but do you really need that? You can detach a once started session and resume it later.
The only thing you need on a client for x11vnc should be a vnc viewer, but I remember that when I once set it up on Gentoo it took me very long to get it working (sorry, don't remember what the problems were).

Bye, signor_rossi.

#5 2008-03-04 23:07:35

MoonSwan

SSH can easily forward X frames (a session using X windows) and I've used it before in that capacity.  KDE has a built-in viewer/server for VNC as well called Krdc/Krdv I believe, and having used that as well its also pretty slick.  I've not tried NX and have little interesting in bothering with it since KDE's vnc setup worked so well for me & the ssh version also wasn't difficult to use.

#6 2008-03-05 02:51:28

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Any of these have good sound support?

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#7 2008-03-05 05:12:27

MoonSwan

Never tested sound so I can't really answer your question, sorry.

#8 2008-03-05 08:03:14

gejr

MoonSwan wrote:

SSH can easily forward X frames (a session using X windows) and I've used it before in that capacity.  KDE has a built-in viewer/server for VNC as well called Krdc/Krdv I believe, and having used that as well its also pretty slick.  I've not tried NX and have little interesting in bothering with it since KDE's vnc setup worked so well for me & the ssh version also wasn't difficult to use.

SSH can forward X frames to Windows? How would you use the client to accomplish that? Care to give an example? As I stated in my first post, I'd prefer to have a DE-independent solution, so KDE is unfortunately out of the question:)

#9 2008-03-05 08:46:45

Purch

schivmeister wrote:

Any of these have good sound support?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison … p_software

#10 2008-03-05 08:51:55

signor_rossi

Pure ssh X-forwarding is inferior to NX, there is no connection optimization (only simple compression and no roundtrip reduction) and when you lose the network connection the program you have started exits too, an NX session can be resumed. You can even start only a single application with NX in floating window mode. Plus on a Windows client you need Xserver, etc., which is all included in the single NX client package for Windows.
So my question again is, do you really have to connect to the running session? NX is the best solution if you don't have to, you even don't need another service since it all goes over sshd, which you already have running on the server box.
Maybe NX could be integrated with a login manager to seamlessy start a local NX session on the server machine that i can detach from and later restart from a client, hell, you already can resume a session you have started from a remote client on the server box itself (I am not sure if that makes sense actually or is advisable wink).

Bye, signor_rossi

#11 2008-03-05 09:07:14

gejr

signor_rossi wrote:

Pure ssh X-forwarding is inferior to NX, there is no connection optimization (only simple compression and no roundtrip reduction) and when you lose the network connection the program you have started exits too, an NX session can be resumed. You can even start only a single application with NX in floating window mode. Plus on a Windows client you need Xserver, etc., which is all included in the single NX client package for Windows.
So my question again is, do you really have to connect to the running session? NX is the best solution if you don't have to, you even don't need another service since it all goes over sshd, which you already have running on the server box.
Maybe NX could be integrated with a login manager to seamlessy start a local NX session on the server machine that i can detach from and later restart from a client, hell, you already can resume a session you have started from a remote client on the server box itself (I am not sure if that makes sense actually or is advisable wink).

Bye, signor_rossi

Ok, I'll give NX another shot. I think I was stumped by difficulties installing it last time. I hope it has become easier smile

#12 2008-03-05 09:56:43

Roberth

Here at my workplace we control our linux servers with ssh through putty on windows, works great.

Use the Source, Luke!

#13 2008-03-05 10:26:54

INCSlayer
Website

Roberth wrote:

Here at my workplace we control our linux servers with ssh through putty on windows, works great.

yes but that isnt graphically which is what the OP is asing for

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#14 2008-03-05 17:43:24

Geekosaurio

x11vnc has worked for me flawlessly for a long time, what are the problems that you are having with it to see if I can help.

#15 2008-03-08 11:52:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Or use VNC smile

Just run x11vnc, open any ports on a firewall, and connect with a client. Easy!

I found on a ethernet connection, VNC's speed was excellent, and passable on a wireless 802.11b (11mbps) connection.

I ran google earth over that wireless connection. Like a slideshow, but miraculously usable. I found my house tongue

Last edited by iphitus (2008-03-08 11:52:39)

Board footer