You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-06 09:48:40

dammit

Getting Started

Hi,
Im a newbie and really tried to get arch to work, but getting problems.
I recently reformatted and installed win2k on my hdd.

I successfully installed arch on a partition on my 80 gig hdd. I split my hdd into 40mb boot partition, 200 mb swap partition, 1.5gig root partition.

It says it successfully installed everything, but when i reboot it still goes to my win2k automatically, I dun get to see any grub at all on the reboot.

I tried to search the forum for clues but i dun quite understand them, and are long which makes it more confusing.

pls help,
thnx

#2 2004-07-06 10:00:23

dpb

Re: Getting Started

Did you install the boot loader? And where to?

#3 2004-07-06 10:39:57

noprob
Website

When I installed arch (AMLUG Live CD) I used lilo boot loader,which installed on my primary partition which is Win98SE.
I have 5 partitions,one primary,vfat.,two logical<vfat>,then arch swap<ext3>approx.263MB.then the remainder partition space of approx. 2GB linux <ext3>
ArchLinux is the 1st. in line to boot which I'm happy with,but I do not see how you got to reboot once you did an install of arch as the cd install would not let me choose grub or lilo until I viewed a boot loader config file via system configuration & using nano.
Thereafter lilo configured itself & I am able to choose which operating system to boot up into.

P.S.reason I used the live cd install is because at the time of install I had no idea whatsoever of any linux commands.Once I get the hang of this great distro I will install with the official arch iso.
also I've located a few nice games in extra,but frozen bubble locks up on me. sad

#4 2004-07-06 10:41:13

dammit

yeap,
i installed grub in partition hda6, which is ext2 40mb.
root is installed in hda8 ext2 1.5 gig.
swap installed in hda9 200 mb.

#5 2004-07-06 10:50:36

dammit

noprob wrote:

ArchLinux is the 1st. in line to boot which I'm happy with,but I do not see how you got to reboot once you did an install of arch as the cd install would not let me choose grub or lilo until I viewed a boot loader config file via system configuration & using nano.
sad

Yes I too had to view bootloader config file via system configuration, then be able to install grub and reboot.

But my problem is when i reboot, it automatically goes to win2k, which i have previously installed on my hdd. I dun get a nice grub prompt.

The first time i installed grub, i placed it on the same partition as win2k, and it works. i could boot to Arch.
But then it corrupted my win2k MBR, and i couldn't boot to win2k at all.
So that prompted me to reinstall win2k again.
I then realise that you had to create another separate partition just for the boot loader grub, which i've done.

Now it seems that it goes straight to win2k rather than going thru grub.
I just wanna know how to fix it.
thanks for the replies.

#6 2004-07-06 11:18:25

noprob
Website

my suggestion would be to have w2k use vfat[file system] instead of ntfs.
my understanding is linux does not get along well with ntfs.
remember I to am still learning [n00b] and this is just my best guess.
I really hope someone else replies with more experiance then I.
also once if you do decide to use the vfat/FAT32 file allication table on your winDOwS install my other suggestion would be to have grub/lilo on that partition as that is how lilo operates on this machine.

EDIT
I dis-agree with you on the /boot partion.[special]
I only have a swap partition at the beginning & the the / root partition.
I myself see no use or need for it.

#7 2004-07-06 11:28:51

dammit

noprob wrote:

I dis-agree with you on the /boot partion.[special]
I only have a swap partition at the beginning & the the / root partition.
I myself see no use or need for it.

So r u saying that i should just have a swap partition and / root partition, without a boot partition? I read a few messages that i should install grub in a separate partition.

So what's ur suggestion on where to install grub? on the root partition?

I also wandering if you are also using dual booting with win2k/xp and arch linux?

#8 2004-07-06 11:36:11

dpb

Install grub on the Master Boot Record of the harddrive, not to any partitions MBR. You then have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the windows partition there.

IMO you have no use of a /boot partition if you only have one Linux distro installed. It's meant for people with many distros, so they can share it with each distro.

#9 2004-07-06 11:45:53

dammit

dpb wrote:

Install grub on the Master Boot Record of the harddrive, not to any partitions MBR. You then have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the windows partition there.

IMO you have no use of a /boot partition if you only have one Linux distro installed. It's meant for people with many distros, so they can share it with each distro.

So you guys are saying that i should install grub on hda1, where the windows 2000 partition is installed?
so when it says something about devfs, what partition should i write? Im not sure about this part of the installation.
thx

#10 2004-07-06 11:52:01

dpb

dammit wrote:
dpb wrote:

So you guys are saying that i should install grub on hda1, where the windows 2000 partition is installed?
so when it says something about devfs, what partition should i write? Im not sure about this part of the installation.
thx

I said not a partition. Install it to the MBR. If your harddrive is hda, install grub to /dev/discs/disc0/disc.

#11 2004-07-06 12:58:28

dammit

dpb wrote:

I said not a partition. Install it to the MBR. If your harddrive is hda, install grub to /dev/discs/disc0/disc.

Thanx a lot guys, everything works, but i got a problem with the dhcp. doesn't seem to be able to ping website or get the network up and running.
It's something about not having pacman refreshed?

Just wondering, i put eth0 = "dhcp" and gateway = "dhcp"
is this correct? It doesnt seem to be working for me.
also do i need to modify any other conf file like the dns address of my isp, or the gateway number?

Anyway, it's about 11pm here in Sydney, and there is a filipino show on channel sbs that i wanna watch first, then get back into arch again later.

once again thanks a lot.

#12 2004-07-06 15:16:37

sarah31
Website

i don't think you need anything in the gateway field.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#13 2004-07-07 00:37:13

dammit

sarah31 wrote:

i don't think you need anything in the gateway field.

Hi,
I tried to use dhcp, cuz i connect to the net thru a 4 port router adsl modem. I tried putting eth0 = "dhcp", I tried putting gateway = "dhcp" in rc.conf, tried putting the dns ipaddress on resolv.conf - but still can't start network.

It says something about "dhcp hostname lookup failure" error, when i did /etc/rc.d/network start.

thx

#14 2004-07-07 02:08:45

noprob
Website

my rc.local

modprobe ymfpci
modprobe pcnet32
modprobe dummy
dhcpcd eth0
-------------------------
rc.conf

MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi !usb-storage !printer)

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd !pcmcia network crond netfs fam !cups)

I have adsl and this is the settings on my computer,also I have no experiance using grub,lilo has done me well so far.

#15 2004-07-07 05:56:18

dpb

I connect through a modem/router/firewall/thing. I've set the gateway to the modems IP and enabled the gateway in ROUTES. You could try the same with your setup, dammit.

gateway="default gw 10.0.0.2"
ROUTES=(gateway)

I don't think you can use dhcp in the gateway...

Board footer