You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-25 15:08:57

Moo-Crumpus

Holy, allmighty rc.conf

Whoohoo!
How stupid, you may think, what about the rc.conf? ... there is little in it, there are commentaries, where is a secret in it, if at all?

Hm. Has all been said? Are there no secrets?

Lately, I started to tweak archlinux a bit, as I use two network cards, and wanted them to run in bonding mode - 2 nics should behave as one, you know.

Little time later, I noticed that the common way won't do in arch, as arch made no use at all of the scripts that are mentioned t be used for bonding, allthoug the folder structure, that should be used if the common way could be gone, was prepared and available, but empty. The first idea of any newling will be, this was a snow-white situation. With a charming kiss, all will awake. It looks like it was invitingly prepared.
Wrong.
Furthermore, I found a post in this forum, where a fellow found out - the hard way - how to set up this feature in rc.conf. The solution is far from all scripts and syntax you could read and learn during exploring all readmes, manpages and docs. Respect for his endurance.

So, if rc.conf does the job that a bunch of scripts should do, and does this job using it's own syntax - and does it with elegance - what else can be found inside this showbag?

I have no idea at all, if someone knows: speak it out!

Could'nt we recieve a full featured, empowered and prepared rc.conf?

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2004-06-25 16:27:40

sarah31
Website

Re: Holy, allmighty rc.conf

i love rc.conf but without a doubt it could probably have expanded abilities. ultimately it would be great to only have to use rc.conf and not any other init file for user settings.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-06-28 07:07:45

Moo-Crumpus

this is the suse way, isn't it? smile

Frumpus addict

#4 2004-06-28 15:11:03

sarah31
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

this is the suse way, isn't it? smile

not a bloody clue here i have never used suse. i have only used mandrake (sucked) and debian/libranet/gentoo(gentoo sucked more than mandrake for functionality). once i was done with mandrake i was done with rpm distros. not that rpms are necessarily bad i just wanted nothing to do with their "lack of intelligence" (ie metadata)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-07-06 16:00:40

Moo-Crumpus

Intelligence is fine  8)

Frumpus addict

#6 2004-07-06 16:36:47

tpowa
Developer

no suse has changed their files
no rc.conf anymore
they use since 8.1/2 /etc/sysconfig and splitted all configurations to sperate files you have one point where you can set everything in yast but that modifies the splitted files

#7 2004-07-06 22:16:57

linfocito

sarah31 wrote:

i love rc.conf but without a doubt it could probably have expanded abilities. ultimately it would be great to only have to use rc.conf and not any other init file for user settings.

All init files sources rc.conf in the very beginning, so it´s easy to use rc.conf to config almost everything.

e.g

if [ "$0" = "/etc/rc.d/adsl" ]; then
   /usr/local/bin/adsl_auth
fi         

will run  /usr/local/bin/adsl_auth just when rc.conf is sourced by etc/rc.d/adsl

"...archoholism is a hard disease to cure..."
Archlinux Brasil

Board footer