You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-05 22:22:57

ubermartian

Kaffeine, xine and sound

If I'm running artsd, neither xine or kaffeine will start due to initialising the sound failing.  This happens in both KDE and fluxbox.  IF I kill artsd I can get them to work with full sound.  As kaffeine is a kde app its seems strange that it won't work with artsd.  I've tried kaffeine|xine -a arts but that didn't have an effect.  It looks like xine-lib doesn't have support for arts, I'm pretty sure that I used to have it running fine in the past.  Is there a plugin, will I have to compile xine with arts support myself or will I have to keep killing artsd when I want to use xine/kaffeine?

#2 2004-03-05 22:28:04

dp
Website

Re: Kaffeine, xine and sound

kaffeine is a frontend for xine-lib in QT ... (using also some kdelibs), so it do not work with artsd in any way

i agree with you, that xine-lib should have arts-support, but i have quite no info about this

if you find the info how to compile xine-lib with arts-support, fill a bug at: http://bugs.archlinux.org/ for xine-libs

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-03-05 22:31:28

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

As long as adding arts support doesn't mean you have to have arts installed just to run xine.  If that's the case, I don't know if it's the best thing.  If I can keep from installing artsd on my machine (because I don't use it) then I'll be happy.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-03-30 00:12:36

potentials

You don't have to kill artsd every time you wanna run xine/kaffeine. Just reduce the "Auto-suspend" time in the Control Center >> Sound System to 1 second. Ofcourse if you started xine while Juk is running, xine won't be able to play sound, and vice versa. Closing Juk and waiting for 1 second before starting xine will do it.

#5 2004-07-07 18:17:17

ruwach

Hey if you still are checking this thread. i had the same problem, same fix
thanks

Board footer