You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-14 21:40:31

miggols99

Going to start a Linux distro cd shop...

I'm making (another - my other website is Archux) website for selling Linux distros. I've got information about what I'll need for it, and I've decided that I will install Drupal 5 (past stable release that has support for shopping modules) and I won't be able to do multisite with Archux unfortunately, so that will be a lot of work...

Which distros do you think I should sell? Here's what I'm thinking of so far:

* Arch Linux (obviously wink )
* Ubuntu
* Fedora
* Mandriva
* Linux Mint

Any other's you think I should sell? Before I do this though, I need to buy supplies...I'll start tomorrow smile

Last edited by miggols99 (2008-03-14 22:36:56)

#2 2008-03-14 23:04:13

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Going to start a Linux distro cd shop...

Are you going to be able to compete with Edmunds Enterprises' 99 cent CD? (Or Ubuntu's free CDs, come to think of it. :-D)

I suggest having an "open request" system where people can request any distro they want.

Fill up on all sorts of live CDs and DVDs.  USB keys containing a bootable faunos (or other live distro) might be popular too.

You could pick the top 25 off distrowatch, perhaps.

Cheers,
Dusty

#3 2008-03-14 23:34:55

miggols99

Unfortunately I can't sell FaunOS on CDs or flash drives becuase it is against the license. sad

And to be honest, the Edmonds Enterprises website is hideous. And outdated (psst the copyright notice still says 2007 and the Arch Linux CD is way outdated. The logo is wrong and the version is really old too. And...I could go on forever. Just have a look at the versions! I would never buy from them wink ).

Getting people to ask is a great idea! Not sure how I would get something like that though...

#4 2008-03-15 00:23:40

Jerry

I'd like to see the BSDs , especially FreeBSD.

It would be hard to compete with Ubuntu's free CD.  I guess you could bump it up by actually sending the CD a lot faster.  Mine came only after 6 weeks.

I also think, if you don't mind me saying, that you need to build a community in it to actually be safely profitable.  That will ensure a steady flow of cash.  direct linking to other linux sites can also bolster up your rep and network.  goodluck!

Last edited by Jerry (2008-03-15 03:17:47)

#5 2008-03-15 00:36:47

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

miggols99 wrote:

Unfortunately I can't sell FaunOS on CDs or flash drives becuase it is against the license. sad

note: the language in their terms of use centers around the logo and the name, and the artwork.

The faunos devs can not further restrict distribution of the software they are also using (like pacman), just the artwork, name, and logo that they created (faunos). think of it like redhat and centos. You could fork faunos and sell pressed cds of it if you wanted to. Or..you could ask them for an exemption.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2008-03-15 00:41:18

raymano
Website

Cactus,

You are correct.

Raymano

Last edited by raymano (2008-03-15 01:23:13)

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#7 2008-03-16 21:52:50

miggols99

What backend do you think I should use for it? Drupal with E-Commerce (would really like a demo of it) or Ubercart? Or something else? I'm very familiar with Drupal..

#8 2008-03-16 22:34:35

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Really the backed is irrelevant -- use the tool you want to use. Use Drupal if you want to and think it is generic enough. Or if you are in the mood use it as an opportunity to learn <insert random new web framework here>. Its up to you. If you're in a hurry I'd go with what you already know, you can always change it later.

Dusty

Board footer