You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-13 15:51:51

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Where does nautilus pull its defaults [solved]

Hey guys,
   I was wondering if anyone knew where nautilus pulls its defaults on what program to open a file with. At work he have roughly over 100 Fedora 4 machines that point to gedit instead of openoffice by default for csv's. The easiest thing for me to do would be to change the system defaults to what they should be but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the hell its getting this information from.

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited by T-Dawg (2008-03-15 12:03:29)

#2 2008-03-13 23:31:22

theringmaster
Website

Re: Where does nautilus pull its defaults [solved]

T-Dawg wrote:

Hey guys,
   I was wondering if anyone knew where nautilus pulls its defaults on what program to open a file with. At work he have roughly over 100 Fedora 4 machines that point to gedit instead of openoffice by default for csv's. The easiest thing for me to do would be to change the system defaults to what they should be but I cannot for the life of me figure out where the hell its getting this information from.

Thanks,
Tyler

gconf-editor?

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#3 2008-03-14 00:04:01

ssjlegendx
Website

With Arch (at least), Nautilus seems to pull its default file associations from /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. (According to this website, /usr/share/applications/defaults.list might do the trick for you.)

I have modified my own mimeinfo.cache so that Eye of GNOME (rather than the GIMP) is used to open certain types of images; however, my file doesn't seem to have any entries for csv....

Last edited by ssjlegendx (2008-04-10 23:58:31)

#!/vim/rocks

#4 2008-03-15 11:23:04

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

gconf-editor?

Sorry if I wasn't more clear.
We get new employees all the time. It would be too much of a hassle/inefficient to su to all the users and add to our 'useradd' scripts a setting like that. Especially so if its the system defaults that are clearly wrong. Besides, using gconf-editor likes to make its configuration changes in /tmp/ instead of /home (I'm sure theres a way to stop that but I haven't had time to figure out why gconf sucks that much) so the configuration is lost when they move from terminal to terminal (nfs /home shares).

Last edited by T-Dawg (2008-03-15 11:25:36)

#5 2008-03-15 12:02:53

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

ssjlegendx wrote:

With Arch (at least), Nautilus seems to pull its default file associations from /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. (According to this website, /usr/share/applications/defaults.list might do the trick for you.)

I have modified my own mimeinfo.cache so that Eye of Gnome (rather than the GIMP) is used to open certain types of images; however, my file doesn't seem to have any entries for csv....

Thanks, ssjlegendx thats what I was looking for.
It looks like all I have to do is modify the openoffice.desktop file by adding the mime type for the csv and run update-desktop-database which in turn updates mime.cache.

Board footer