You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-15 19:14:02

Reasons

Benefits of pulseaudio

Last weekend I gave pulseaudio a quick try and in the end it would start but I wouldn't get sound so I just redid alsa. Now it's a new weekend and I guess I'll give it another try but before I do, are there any real benefits of it yet?

While I'm trying it, I get as root

ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
E: module.c: Failed to open module "module-esound-protocol-unix": libsocket-util.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
E: module.c: Failed to open module "module-native-protocol-unix": libsocket-util.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
W: module-x11-publish.c: PulseAudio information vanished from X11!
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-x11-publish" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.

As normal user

N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID again.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
E: main.c: Failed to create '/tmp/pulse-shawn': Operation not permitted

This is on Arch64.

Last edited by Reasons (2008-03-15 19:33:13)

#2 2008-03-15 21:09:06

BC

Re: Benefits of pulseaudio

Reasons wrote:

are there any real benefits of it yet?

The reason I use it is because I can easily switch sound output between my desktop speakers and USB headset on the fly.  I don't even have to restart any apps.  Other than that I can't think of a compelling reason to switch.

#3 2008-03-15 21:16:54

SpookyET

Re: Benefits of pulseaudio

Per app volume control.

Board footer