You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-07 19:38:06

ruwach

Two quick gnome and KDE questions

i dig gnome, wife and kids dig KDE we as a group only use one user account.
so heres the deal...

when i make a change to the KDE desktop ( different icons, device, etc..) it effects gnome also. is there a way i can seperate their config files so that whatever i do to one does not effect the other ?

other question : i know that the Yahoo messenger thing has been fixed in the CVS version of Kopete. how can i make that happen ? can i find a PKGBUILD script for the cvs Kopete somewhere ? i think that it is just part of one of the KDE packages and i dont need to reinstall everything to get that going.

ok, any suggestions would be much appreciated..

Arch Rocks !

#2 2004-07-08 01:07:09

dp
Website

Re: Two quick gnome and KDE questions

-> is there some reason why you use only one user-account? i highly advice you to switch to a more-user way of using linux

the icons on the desktop cannot be separated easily (kde<->gnome), as both use ~/Desktop/.. structure (what became also standard and is also good being), so the best way would be to have more than one user

kde? gnome? try xfce4 :-)

yahoo: kopete: hmm... earlier, kopete was a separate pkg (it was not part of the official kde-release), and it was very easy to rebuild only kopete on cvs --- now, things became a little more complicated: you need to rebuild kdenetwork (as far as i can remember), but as kde 3.3.beta1 (klassroom) is out, let's hope that some of the great users start a repository for it (some time ago someone from the comunity was running his/her own repository with the actual kde beta, but i was not able to find this thread - maybe deleted now)

you can also play around with ABS (see docs) and build your own kde 3.3beta1 pkgs and install them, but if you are a newbie, it would be a time-consuming, but learning experience

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-07-08 01:44:30

ruwach

Re: Two quick gnome and KDE questions

ok. tried xfce4 - dig it a lot. personallly, my favorite is fluxbox,  but i like to play with wms.

i guess i will wait for an upgrade to come out for kopete and keep gaim on for now.

thanks for all the advice.

cheers

Board footer