You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-14 00:54:11

dp
Website

BDF / PCF fonts ... packages for Arch ... fonts.alias

I tried to build the SGI-fonts for linux:

they are provided as Source-RPM that contain a cpio.gz that contain a tar (named tar.gz, but is only a tar) that contain the fonts --- this is all no problem, if you write a crazy build()

my PKGBUILD is:

# Contributor: Damir Perisa <damir.perisa@bluewin.ch>
# rpmunpack needed to build
pkgname=sgi-fonts
pkgver=1.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Fonts from the SGI ProPack for Linux"
url="http://oss.sgi.com/projects/sgi_propack/"
depends=('xfree86')
conflicts=()
backup=()
install=sgi.install
source=(ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/sgilinux-combined/download/sgipropack1.4/MNT-INSTALL/SGI/SRPMS/$pkgname-1.0-1.src.rpm)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src
  rpmunpack sgi-fonts-1.0-1.src.rpm
  gzip -dc sgi-fonts-1.0-1.cpio.gz | cpio -i
  tar -xvvf sgi-fonts.tar.gz  # this is actually a NOT gziped tar!

cd sgi-fonts/sgi

mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
  cp *bdf  $startdir/pkg/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc

# and the needed font-aliases ... to be appended later in sgi.install
  cp fonts.alias $startdir/pkg/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias.sgi
}

the sgi.install:

# arg 1:  the new package version
post_install() {
cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias.backup.sgi-install
cat /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias.sgi >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias
  fc-cache
}

# arg 1:  the new package version
# arg 2:  the old package version
post_upgrade() {
  fc-cache
}

# arg 1:  the old package version
pre_remove() {
cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias.backup.sgi-install /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias
  fc-cache
}

op=$1
shift

$op $*

pacman -A sgi-fonts-1.0-1.pkg.tar.gz will correctly work BUT

if you have 2 packages with fonts A and B, and you install A and then B and then remove A, it will restore fonts.alias as it were before installing A and B ... you loose the aliases for B!

-> so the way i tried with SGI-fonts is OK, if you have only one fonts-package for archlinux, but i hope that there will be at least one more, so my way to solve this is not so good

i'm interested in a general way to install additional fonts (BDF or PCF, not TTF!) to the misc-folder of fonts --- how can we painless modify fonts.alias from the install-script of the fonts-package while installation?

any ideas?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2008-03-18 03:12:26

mutlu_inek

Re: BDF / PCF fonts ... packages for Arch ... fonts.alias

dp wrote:

pacman -A sgi-fonts-1.0-1.pkg.tar.gz will correctly work BUT

if you have 2 packages with fonts A and B, and you install A and then B and then remove A, it will restore fonts.alias as it were before installing A and B ... you loose the aliases for B!

I don't quite understand. You created one PKGBUILD, i.e. you installed _one_ package, sgi-fonts-1.0-1. Where does the other package come from? And if there is another package (why ever), does it install the _same_ file into the file system? If yes, pacman should throw an error. This is not as intended at all. But maybe I simply don't get it.

#3 2008-03-18 07:37:33

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

This thread is 5 years old. It's probably irrelevant now as the way fonts are handled is probably different now.  If I may make a guess, the .install file is incorrect. Probably an .install file like the one from xorg-fonts-misc would fix the issue.

#4 2008-03-18 13:19:37

mutlu_inek

Oh, sorry.

Weird, I had clicked on "Show unanswered posts" to answer questions/problems. It wasn't my intention to dig up skeletons. smile

#5 2008-03-18 15:25:57

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

mutlu_inek wrote:

Oh, sorry.

You don't need to excuse yourself. You were just trying to be helpful. cool

mutlu_inek wrote:

Weird, I had clicked on "Show unanswered posts" to answer questions/problems. It wasn't my intention to dig up skeletons. smile

I don't find find it weird as the thread was indeed unanswered. It was just an old thread and you didn't noticed the date. This happens occasionnally.

Board footer