You are not logged in.

#51 2008-02-04 20:34:53

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: e17 in community

stefan1975 wrote:

However I cannot change a single setting using etk_prefs or sudo etk_prefs, even after installing th gOS etk stuff. The etk_prefs app starts fine but then I cannot change a single item in all menus and all I see is the default etk stuff. that is just too bad.

Yes etk is not yet fully developed. The etk theme changer is quite broken atm. The only thing that does work is applying a new theme. You cannot change any other setting with it AFAIK.
The gOS etk theme shows up under the name default, just like the bling theme. Most likely the gOS one is the second one (although you cannot make it up from the preview nor the name), just hit apply and it should be applied. Let me know if you still have problems getting the theme to work.
If you want to change any settings, you can do that in the source  before running make.

stefan1975 wrote:

Another thing i noticed is that using the itask task manager (which works great by the way, finally a task manager that acutally works in E17) will most of the time default back to the ugly gold "bling" theme even when using another one which really does not look good.

I don't use itask, and looking into the svn tree of thinkgos, neither do they, so most likely they don't have it themed. Most likely it does exist in the advanced theme settings dialog, where you can apply a theme to an individual module if you like.

--> for the icon theme, I wrote a small script to get the smaller icon sizes. You can make up from the script whre you need to place it I guess. The script takes the index.theme file from the Tango icon theme as I didn't feel like adapting the gos index.theme file tongue
[edit] mogrify is part of imagemagick [/edit]

#!/bin/bash

# set global variables
startdir=$(pwd)

echo $startdir
echo "The original icon size of this theme is 128x128"
echo "This script creates icon sizes 16x16, 22x22, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 72x72, 96x96 and 128x128"
echo "After the icons are created the theme is installed in ~/.icons/gOS"
echo "and is available to be used as a gtk theme."
echo "Enjoy!"

for i in 16x16 22x22 24x24 32x32 48x48 64x64 72x72 96x96; do
        echo "Creating size ${i}..."
        install -d $startdir/gOS/$i
        cp -rf $startdir/gOS/128x128/* $startdir/gOS/$i
        cd $startdir/gOS/$i
        find -type f -name *.png  -exec mogrify -resize $i {} \;
done

cp -rf $startdir/gOS ~/.icons

# the following works only if you have the Tango theme installed
# the index.theme from another complete theme will most likely also work
install -Dm644 /usr/share/icons/Tango/index.theme ~/.icons/gOS/index.theme
echo "the theme is now installed in ~/.icons/gOS"

Last edited by pressh (2008-02-04 20:36:48)

#52 2008-02-17 21:47:02

Theoden

skottish wrote:

E17's development is happening in a hurry these days. How often do you intend to update?

pressh wrote:

at least twice a month. If development goes fast I should be able to update it on a weekly basis.

[edit]
that is at least for i686. I'll try to do my best for the x86_64 guys to keep it not far behind but I don't have a 64bit machine and I can't fly.

So when can we expect another build?  It's been a while now with no updates.  Just thought I would ask.  smile

Best regards,

Theoden

"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs,
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."

#53 2008-02-17 22:27:14

pressh
Developer/TU

Theoden wrote:

So when can we expect another build?  It's been a while now with no updates.  Just thought I would ask.  smile

Best regards,

Theoden

Last update was 13 days ago, so it is still within the ~2 weeks time span wink
I most likely update the i686 builds tomorrow. Depending on how much time Snowman has, the x86_64 builds should follow shortly after.

Last edited by pressh (2008-02-17 22:28:02)

#54 2008-02-17 22:33:54

Theoden

pressh wrote:

I most likely update the i686 builds tomorrow. Depending on how much time Snowman has, the x86_64 builds should follow shortly after.

Cool.  I really appreciate the effort you are making and the results have been very good.  Thanks for the timely response.  smile

Best regards,

Theoden

#55 2008-02-18 06:49:33

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

pressh wrote:
Theoden wrote:

Best regards,

Theoden

Just want to mention that, unless I'm very busy,  you can expect the x86_64 builds a  few days after the i686 builds.

#56 2008-02-20 10:53:33

Zibi1981

After the last update (I think I made it yesterday) E17 won't even start. Now I know it's in pre-alpha stage and those kind of things may happen, bu I'm just curious if anyone has similar problem with the new CVS-snapshot smile

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#57 2008-02-20 13:30:11

pressh
Developer/TU

Zibi1981 wrote:

After the last update (I think I made it yesterday) E17 won't even start. Now I know it's in pre-alpha stage and those kind of things may happen, bu I'm just curious if anyone has similar problem with the new CVS-snapshot smile

Check your /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop file. If there is a 'dbus-launch --exit-with-session' in the Exec and TryExec command, remove that and try to start e17 again (first restart entrance).
Does that solve it?

I'll upload a new version of the e-cvs package for i686. I don't think this issue is in the x86_64 package.

Last edited by pressh (2008-02-20 13:37:31)

#58 2008-02-20 14:13:43

nbvcxz

Zibi1981 wrote:

The same here - probably entrance is broken (can't authorize user) - after changing to gdm e17 starts without problems

Lenovo G50 | LXQT-git | compton | conky

#59 2008-02-20 16:44:51

zenlord
Website

I installed e17-cvs on sunday and I got entrance only working the first time. After that, it starts (I see the mousecursor for a split second) and it stops, giving me the console. I start entranced through DAEMONS() and I don't see any errors related to X in the logs. I didn't look for errors by entrance yet.

$ startx with enlightenment_start in my .xinitrc works flawlessly, as does the rest of e17-cvs (or at least the few parts that I have discovered yet). Tonight I hope do some more testing.

Zl.

#60 2008-02-20 16:57:57

pressh
Developer/TU

zenlord wrote:

I installed e17-cvs on sunday and I got entrance only working the first time. After that, it starts (I see the mousecursor for a split second) and it stops, giving me the console. I start entranced through DAEMONS() and I don't see any errors related to X in the logs. I didn't look for errors by entrance yet.

$ startx with enlightenment_start in my .xinitrc works flawlessly, as does the rest of e17-cvs (or at least the few parts that I have discovered yet). Tonight I hope do some more testing.

Zl.

as I said above, this happens because of the dbus-launch thing slipped into /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop. This should be fixed in e-cvs-200080220-1. Use above workaround, or wait for that version to hit your mirror.
You need to restart entrance after you applied the fix for it to work. I don't think it is necessary to backup your ~/.e directory.

[edit]
Could you people in the future please open a bug report in the community section of the bug tracker.

Last edited by pressh (2008-02-20 17:02:03)

#61 2008-02-20 17:03:42

Theoden

zenlord wrote:

Zl.

It has been my experience for some time now that entrance - in Archlinux - works best by starting it from /etc/inittab by setting the default init level to 5:

id:5:initdefault:

and by adding this line this line at the end:

x:5:respawn:/opt/e17/sbin/entranced -nodaemon

Comment out all other x:5:respawn* lines.  Also don't put entranced in the daemon line in /etc/rc.conf.  Give it a try.

Best regards,

Theoden

#62 2008-02-21 10:28:32

Zibi1981

pressh wrote:
Zibi1981 wrote:

Check your /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop file. If there is a 'dbus-launch --exit-with-session' in the Exec and TryExec command, remove that and try to start e17 again (first restart entrance).
Does that solve it?

I'll upload a new version of the e-cvs package for i686. I don't think this issue is in the x86_64 package.

Do you wanted me to comment those lines? Because after doing so I didn't even have E17 in Entrance as an option. We shall see how it would be after the updates I made today.

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

#63 2008-02-21 11:15:47

pressh
Developer/TU

Zibi1981 wrote:

Do you wanted me to comment those lines? Because after doing so I didn't even have E17 in Entrance as an option. We shall see how it would be after the updates I made today.

No, they should just read

Exec=/usr/bin/enlightenment_start
TryExec=/usr/bin/enlightenment_start

#64 2008-02-21 12:46:20

zenlord
Website

pressh wrote:
zenlord wrote:

Zl.

as I said above, this happens because of the dbus-launch thing slipped into /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop.

Nope. I checked the .desktop and it was clean. I updated to 20080218 and switched from rc.conf-DAEMONS to inittab to fire up entranced and it works as a charm. I don't know what caused the problems before.

pressh wrote:

[edit]
Could you people in the future please open a bug report in the community section of the bug tracker.

Of course. I just wasn't sure this was a bug - it could have been something I did wrong...

THX for these packages - it looks like I will stick to this WM...

Zl.

#65 2008-02-21 12:48:58

zenlord
Website

Theoden wrote:

It has been my experience for some time now that entrance - in Archlinux - works best by starting it from /etc/inittab by setting the default init level to 5:
id:5:initdefault:

and by adding this line this line at the end:
x:5:respawn:/opt/e17/sbin/entranced -nodaemon

Comment out all other x:5:respawn* lines.  Also don't put entranced in the daemon line in /etc/rc.conf.  Give it a try.

I did it this way and now entrance starts up, but I also upgraded to e17-20080218, so I'm not really sure what made it work again. THX anyway!

One remark: entranced is in /usr/sbin/ and not in /opt/e17/sbin/

Zl.

Last edited by zenlord (2008-02-21 12:49:18)

#66 2008-02-21 16:53:10

Zibi1981

The upgrade did the work smile I also start Entrance via /etc/inittab entry, but till today's upgrade E17 wasn't starting.
Thx pressh smile

#67 2008-03-16 14:18:21

raul_nds

I don't know if anyone has this problem, but when I choose "Advanced" in any configuration dialog, E17 freezes and I have to restart the X server.

Also, it seems that when I use E17, my virtual console fonts get...well...how do I say it...dark? The fonts are really really dark. Not white on black, but something like a dark brown on black.

#68 2008-03-16 16:52:16

nbvcxz

raul_nds wrote:

I don't know if anyone has this problem, but when I choose "Advanced" in any configuration dialog, E17 freezes and I have to restart the X server.
Also, it seems that when I use E17, my virtual console fonts get...well...how do I say it...dark? The fonts are really really dark. Not white on black, but something like a dark brown on black.

You need give us more info - what arch, theme, version of e17 and what graphic card
Mine (x86, detour, e-cvs-20080303-1, ati) works wihtout any problem.

Lenovo G50 | LXQT-git | compton | conky

#69 2008-03-16 17:01:48

raul_nds

Sure. I tried this with an up to date system, both default and milky theme, and my graphics card is an ATI. If you need any more info just let me know smile Also, off topic, what do you guys use for a system tray?

#70 2008-03-17 08:48:50

zenlord
Website

No problems here also: x86, detour, latest cvs, SiS.

I did make a custom ~/.Xresources and added a line or two in my ~/.bashrc, but only because I couldn't stand rxvt's defaults (black on white, very bad font). You could make your own workaround for your VC-problem, although this should not be caused by e17...

Zl.

#71 2008-03-17 14:01:10

pressh
Developer/TU

raul_nds wrote:

Sure. I tried this with an up to date system, both default and milky theme, and my graphics card is an ATI. If you need any more info just let me know smile

Have you tried the default theme after temporarily removing the ~/.e directory ?

Also, off topic, what do you guys use for a system tray?

I don't use one. I only use the locking function for some applications so I can't close those by accident. There is also liirk which is in the latest cvs snapshot I just uploaded, with which you can sort of simulate a systray.
If you need a real systray there is stalonetray and trayer amongst others.

#72 2008-03-19 08:59:18

zenlord
Website

Hey, everything is running smoothly (with e17 that is) - I have only one problem:

- using entrance (from inittab), I got it to work. But when I change the theme to one of the supported themes on the e17-website (any one of them) using:
# entrance_edit --theme /path/to/theme.edj
entrance won't start, giving me an endless loop which could only be solved by chrooting into my system and changing inittab... *sigh*

So I did a startx manually since these problems. Today I upgraded and could load the default entrance-theme. I thought the problems were solved and I gave the change-theme-script another go, but again with the same consequences. When I test the themes with the testing-parameter, everything works as it should...

Not a big problem though, but if anyone should know this problem and hae a solution at hand, I would be very pleased!

Zl.

#73 2008-03-19 10:04:23

pressh
Developer/TU

zenlord wrote:

- using entrance (from inittab), I got it to work. But when I change the theme to one of the supported themes on the e17-website (any one of them) using:
# entrance_edit --theme /path/to/theme.edj
entrance won't start, giving me an endless loop which could only be solved by chrooting into my system and changing inittab... *sigh*

Please file a bug on the community section of the Arch bug tracker so I don't forget to implement below workaround.

copy your theme to /usr/share/entrance/themes
run 'entrance_edit --theme=yourthemename.edj'

(DON'T use the full path to yourthemename.edj, USE the name.edj)
[edit]
workaround posted

Last edited by pressh (2008-03-19 10:50:11)

#74 2008-03-19 12:28:51

zenlord
Website

pressh wrote:

Please file a bug on the community section of the Arch bug tracker so I don't forget to implement below workaround.

Registered in Flyspray and: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9877

Will test the workaround as soon as some packages are compiled.

THX!

Zl.
/EDIT: workaround does the trick!

Last edited by zenlord (2008-03-19 15:00:34)

#75 2008-03-20 00:21:06

XChrisX

raul_nds wrote:

I have found that this happens to me only when I am using the e17 Taskbar. When I remove the taskbar, "Advanced" works fine.

PS: pressh, thank you for all your hard work wink

Board footer