You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-20 08:54:33

zenlord
Website

How to record sound with alsa?

Hi,

I've got alsa working almost perfect:
- Playback is no problem
- Adjusting levels in alsamixer works just fine (both in record, all and play-mode)
- mic1 and mic2 can be switched in alsamixer, and I can boost the volume of these mics
- I hear the noise I make in the mic coming out f my speakers.

However, I cannot get the input in my laptop-mic to record. Neither in rs200dec (program to decode the sound that my Polar heartrate monitor emits), nor in audacity.

The first program automatically records from /dev/dsp, but it doesn't pick up any signal. In audacity, I have played with the settings, but nothing is recorderd (only a flat line).

Is it possible with alsa or do I need OSS for this? I have a VIA-audiocard in my laptop that is apparently fully supported by alsa, but I don't know whether it'll work with OSS(4) - with which I have never worked before, so I would prefer a solution for alsa...

THX!

Zl.

#2 2008-03-20 09:15:58

brebs

Re: How to record sound with alsa?

Try wiki re alsamixer settings.

#3 2008-03-20 09:16:44

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: How to record sound with alsa?

Haven't you got a "capture" switch? It usually is adjustable (with a handle) as the other devices.

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

Board footer