You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-20 08:26:26

schimpfj

[SOLVED] abs cannot connect to archlinux ip

Hi All,

I have installed archlinux as VirtualBox guest (host dito). The installation (ftp) was successful and I was also able to install packages via pacman. Because I want to use this guest as my archlinux build "machine" I am trying to install abs/aur/makepkg as per http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg . When submitting "abs" I am getting:

==> Updating core ....
Cannot connect to 66.211.213.17: Connection timed out
==> Error: An unknown error has occured. Exiting...

I cannot use "ping" to test - I understand that is not working in VM's (NAT). Because I only have the console installed, no GUI, I cannot use any browser to test whether the names are resolved correctly, but given pacman is working I would think name resolution to work as supposed to.

In the log files I can see an error a few times logged, but I am not sure whether that is related to the above:

atkbd.c Spurious NAK on isa0060/serio0. Some program might be trying access hardware directly.

I had archlinux installed as a qemu (kvm) and working fine until now. All of a suddent that has ceased working so I thought I am going to use VirtualBox instead, but getting stuck with above error.

Anyone an idea?

Thanks in advance,
Jochen

PS. Kernel 2.6.24

Last edited by schimpfj (2008-03-20 12:09:31)

#2 2008-03-20 08:36:20

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: [SOLVED] abs cannot connect to archlinux ip

sounds like a networking problem (or a firewall misconfiguration).
suggestion: run tcpdump on your host system (or wireshark if that is easier for you), sniffing for the cvs port. on the vm, telnet to your host system's ip address and that same port. See if traffic shows up.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2008-03-20 12:00:36

schimpfj

hi cactus,

thank you very much for your fast reply and please apologize my late one - I got a call and had to pop off. You were correct - it was a firewall thing. My mistake, I forgot about that one. Thank you for your help & reminder!!

cheers,
jochen

#4 2008-03-20 15:45:48

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

yay!
big_smile

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer