You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-23 00:23:52

Laatia

[SOLVED] Configure The System (Beginners Guide) Question

Hello!

I'm currently working my way through the beginners guide, from the wiki.  All going ok so far and I've reached the Configure The System section. Which is where I'm a bit stuck.

Beginners Guide wrote:

You will be presented with a menu including the most important configuration files for your system. If you want to look up the available options as stated in /etc/rc.conf just press Alt+F2 to get a shell, look it up, and switch back to the installer with Alt+F1.

The problem I have is looking up the available options. For example, to find my locale it states I should run locale -a, however when I hit Alt+f2 and enter the command at the bash shell ([Arch Linux: /]# ) I get the following error

-bash: locale: command not found

When I attempt to lookup other items I'm also unable to find those (such as timezone in /usr/share/zoneinfo).

Can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong, I'm missing something very obvious here, but sadly I just can't work it out! smile

Last edited by Laatia (2008-03-23 08:56:38)

#2 2008-03-23 01:19:51

chris89

Re: [SOLVED] Configure The System (Beginners Guide) Question

Hi,

After package installation just go on with Install_Bootloader, then reboot and edit these files later with an editor (for example with vi)

All the missing commands/files are installed during package installation, and they aren't known during the install process.

Had a simmilar experience during installation ^^

Last edited by chris89 (2008-03-23 01:24:16)

#3 2008-03-23 01:29:00

dyscoria

I wouldn't skip all of the steps, particularly adding your hostname to /etc/hosts. Just fill in as much as you can, and edit the rest after you've finished installing, though I think the defaults are safe enough to have a running system.

If you typed in 'km' and chose your locale before you ran the /arch/setup command to start the installation, it should automatically enter in the locale you selected earlier (if you press yes in the dialog box that pops up).

Last edited by dyscoria (2008-03-23 01:30:02)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#4 2008-03-23 08:55:55

Laatia

OK, thank you for the advice guys, I'll add as much as I can and do the rest after. smile

#5 2008-03-24 10:24:51

kozaki
Website

dyscoria wrote:

I wouldn't skip all of the steps, particularly adding your hostname to /etc/hosts. Just fill in as much as you can, and edit the rest after you've finished installing, though I think the defaults are safe enough to have a running system.

If you typed in 'km' and chose your locale before you ran the /arch/setup command to start the installation, it should automatically enter in the locale you selected earlier (if you press yes in the dialog box that pops up).

Confirm this as that's what happended in this location on 2 recent install.

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

Board footer