You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-07 18:30:08

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Arch Documentation Guide available

We finally got around to posting the official documentation guide. It's been sitting on "almost ready" for months... *sigh*  Oh well, we're doing it a little faster than we were.

Here's the guide:
http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/ … guide.html

Basically, if you want to write official or unofficial Arch documentation, follow the style guidelines there. If you want it official, you need to find a couple people to maintain it (if its good, we might do it...) and submit it to Dennis or I.

This applies to translations as well.

Further note, it might be better to post unofficial docs to the wiki, rather than creating and hosting your own. This depends; if its something not many people are going to be interested in, it doesn't belong in the wiki.

Moreover, we are trying to keep the set of official docs small; most documents should go in the wiki where anybody can edit them.  This isn't to say we aren't maintaining wiki docs, but for minor bugfixes, it takes less time to fix it yourself than to e-mail one of these official guys and get them moving.  And of course, there is some wiki stuff that you all know more about than we do!

If you wish to write a translation or other official doc and cannot find two people to maintain it, you are free to post it to the wiki for the time being. You can post a note saying you would like someone to help maintain it and make it an official doc if you wish.

Dusty

#2 2004-07-09 21:08:37

xerxes2
Website

Re: Arch Documentation Guide available

hello Dusty Fastfingers
I did a little patch for the manual last week after there been around 10 almost exactly the same questions in one day

<h4 id="inetdhcp">DHCP</h4>
    <p>Edit your<code> /etc/rc.conf</code>  like this:</p>
    <pre>
   lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
   eth0="dhcp"
   INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
   ROUTES=(!gateway)</pre>
   <h4 id="inetstatic">Static IP</h4>
    <p>Edit your<code> /etc/rc.conf</code>  like this:</p>
   <pre>
    lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
    eth0="eth0 82.137.129.59 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 82.137.129.255"
    INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
    gateway="default gw 82.137.129.1"
    ROUTES=(gateway)</pre>
 <p>and your<code> /etc/resolv.conf</code> like this:</p>
 <pre>
   nameserver 61.23.173.5
   nameserver 61.95.849.8</pre>

if it's right, throw it in the internet section in the manual. big_smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-07-09 21:59:56

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Thanks. I'll point Dennis to your post; he did the install doc revisions, and he knows more about interfaces and networking and all that confusing stuff. :oops:

#4 2004-07-10 00:03:03

Gyroplast
Website

*headscritch*

Okay, maybe I'm just blind, but how does your example differ any from the example in the default rc.conf the manual is recommending to use as a basis to work with? Why duplicate existing information?

By all means, if the configuration process for static IPs and/or setting up DHCP is unclear somehow I'd like to fix that, but I fail to see how yet another example will do that trick. It's hard to miss the comments in the rc.conf, with the user having to edit it and all that.

Same with the resolv.conf; If, after reading the manual, you still don't know this is the file to put nameservers into, and the manpage, install guide, AND the sane, commented out placeholders in the default file don't help you grasp the concept of this file, you probably shouldn't be the one configuring the network in the first place. The install manual can't cover all basics of linux administration; Some people may consider the guide a little verbose already on some parts.

However, it's 2am now, and I'd like to get some sleep.. Maybe someone would be so kind and point out the actual problem with the network setup explanations to me that people seem to be persistently having without me having to catch up with a couple dozen posts? That'd rock, and we might even work out a way to eliminate this issue real soon. smile

Foo,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

Board footer