You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-09 18:18:02

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

readline vi command mode keybindings

I want to remap some of the vi command mode keybindings in ~/.inputrc.  I originally did this by hacking the readline code, but that's just dumb...

I've got the keybindings mapped ok using key: command, for example:

d: backward-char to map backward char to d instead of to h.

However, the problem is, this is remapping the keys in insert mode instead of command mode! I tried wrapping the remappings in $if statements, thus:

$if mode=vi
  #keymaps
$endif

But that does the same thing. I also tried $if mode=vi-command, but that disabled the new keymappings all together. Is there another mode I need to try, or do I have to map the keybindings some other way?

Dusty

#2 2004-07-09 22:11:20

whatah

Re: readline vi command mode keybindings

Why are you changing vim's keybinding's in .inputrc, you should change them in .vimrc. with map <key> <set of functions>.
I am not sure what you mean by h and d. Do you mean how to move backwards in edit mode? if that's the case, maybe try something like: map d h (i am not sure if it works, you can check vim.org for a better description than mine) you can fool around from within vim by doing ":map d h" and seeing what happens, if that's what you wanted just add the line to your .vimrc

#3 2004-07-10 00:11:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: readline vi command mode keybindings

I'm not changing vim's bindings, I want to change readline's (ie: bash) bindings when it is set to vi-compatible mode.  In vim, I have the d h t n j k and l keys remapped; I want to remap the same keys in vi compatible readline as well.

I originally did this by patching the readline source; I'd like to try it with keybindings now... didn't know you could bind keys in readline.  The problem I am having is that it is binding in insert mode instead of in command mode.

Edit: I found this post for doing it in bash:
http://www.mail-archive.com/vox-tech@li … 04877.html

If it worked, that might be good enough, since bash is my most oft used readline app. However, I'm having some problems. I was able to make these keybindings work:

bind -m vi-command '"d": backward-char'
bind -m vi-command '"n": forward-char'

But these ones do not:

bind -m vi-command '"h": next-history'
bind -m vi-command '"t": prev-history'
bind -m vi-command '"k": vi-delete-to'
bind -m vi-command '"l": vi-search-again'
bind -m vi-command '"j": vi-char-search'

I don't think it's possible to do what I want to do without hacking the readline source. Some of the command mode functions in the vi mode source do tests on the actual charcter entered (ie: the d character for vi-delete-to). This means I can't remap any keys without editing these functions (ie: to bind k to vi-delete-to).  I've already written a patch that applies my keybindings to the file instead of the default, but it would be much nicer if this could be done dynamically. I don't feel like writing that patch though!  Maybe Xentac will do it...

Dusty

Board footer