You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-17 04:30:43

skottish
Forum Fellow

Something in testing fried X! [SOLVED]

Yup, as the title says something in testing fried X. By fried I mean that E17 cannot be started from either the daemons array (Entranced) or the command line ("have you set your DISPLAY variable"), and openbox also won't start from the command line (similar error). I got E17 running by putting it in .xinitrc, but there are a bunch of graphics problems. For instance, E17 cannot display gradients as backgrounds anymore, just checkered patterns. This is the kind of thing I've seen with crappy video drivers, not nVidia. Entrance doesn't throw any errors when it fails, it just simply says that it's failing. I rebuilt all of E17, nvidia, and nvidia-utils against the new libraries, as well as tried to downgrade some packages. The obvious solution here is to downgrade everything that just installed, but I wanted to consult to the community and see if there's another way.

---EDIT---

Entrance fixed itself. It seems that it was trying to look for Gnome which I don't have installed. Why it thinks Gnome is around is beyond me. There are still lots of graphics problems, and downgrading xorg-server doesn't help. I guess I got me a ghost!

Last edited by skottish (2008-03-26 21:11:48)

#2 2008-03-17 08:51:43

test1000

Re: Something in testing fried X! [SOLVED]

maybe try the xorg-ubuntu in aur

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#3 2008-03-17 12:51:07

skottish
Forum Fellow

I want to stick with Arch packages. The logic here is that if it's happening to me, it's about to be happening to a bunch of other people. There's a lot of stuff in testing that's about to go into the regular repos when the new ISO is finished. I posted this in the hope that some developer would notice it. Filing a bug report would be difficult because I have no idea what caused the breakage.

#4 2008-03-26 07:51:13

brebs

libtool 2.2 causes packages to need recompiling - as an example:

ldd /usr/bin/xbindkeys | grep -i "not found"

Keep an eye on this thread, where I'll shortly be posting a dependency checker based on Gentoo's, as soon as I've finished it.

#5 2008-03-26 21:14:59

skottish
Forum Fellow

Thanks again brebs. I totally forgot about this thread. Yeah, libtool has had many interesting side effects on this box. My 32 bit box has been a little less temperamental. Anyway, things are working for the moment, so I'm good.

Board footer