You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-15 22:39:18

schome1

New packages in KDE - no menu icons

I am new to arch linux and I'm wondering if what I'm about to explain is common, or if there is a fix.  When I installed mozilla firefox and thunderbird with the command

pacman -S mozilla-firefox

and

pacman -S mozilla-thunderbird

the packages were installed successfully, and I am able to run both applications.  However, I had to manually add them to the KDE menus.  Are all packages for KDE installed without menus?  Is there something I should have done to get the menus to be installed automatically?

#2 2004-02-16 10:24:28

mico

Re: New packages in KDE - no menu icons

When you install KDE applications the menu entries should be created. Some other applications (e.g. OpenOffice.org) might also create menu entries, but most (mozilla) don't - you just have to create them. If there are more users on your system you could then copy or move those menu entries from ~/.kde/share/applnk/ to /opt/kde/share/applnk/ so all other users will also have those apps in kde menu.

#3 2004-07-10 17:51:18

alakazam

*bump*

Does this mean KDE only adds packages to the menu when you reinstall KDE?  SO the packages themselves can't do it?

#4 2004-07-10 23:54:32

dp
Website

alakazam wrote:

*bump*

Does this mean KDE only adds packages to the menu when you reinstall KDE?  SO the packages themselves can't do it?

NO!!! and no, they cannot (for now) ... BUT: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … kappfinder

:-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-07-11 02:39:09

punkrockguy318
Website

The devels have discussed having a central menuing system (like debian's) a while back, but nothing has really come of it...

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#6 2004-07-11 03:09:59

contrasutra

punkrockguy318 wrote:

The devels have discussed having a central menuing system (like debian's) a while back, but nothing has really come of it...

Xentac worked for a very long time trying to port Debian's, but there's some dpkg specific code in it, so it was put off.

I just wanted to make sure people knew that Xentac actually worked on this, it wasn't just talk. tongue

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#7 2004-07-11 03:50:43

punkrockguy318
Website

contrasutra wrote:
punkrockguy318 wrote:

Xentac worked for a very long time trying to port Debian's, but there's some dpkg specific code in it, so it was put off.

I just wanted to make sure people knew that Xentac actually worked on this, it wasn't just talk. tongue

Oh, I had no idea.  I didn't see or hear of any code, so I thought the idea was vetoed.  Good luck on future work Xentac!

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#8 2004-07-11 17:23:14

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

punkrockguy318 wrote:
contrasutra wrote:
punkrockguy318 wrote:

Oh, I had no idea.  I didn't see or hear of any code, so I thought the idea was vetoed.  Good luck on future work Xentac!

Amazingly enough, I usually do follow through with the stuff that I suggest tongue

Thing is that no one really helps me, so I only share it when it's in a usable state.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2004-07-11 19:44:52

alakazam

Wow, interesting  8) Good luck xentac!

Board footer