You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-09 15:00:53

zbled

Installing Windows

It might be the wrong forum ;-)

I have to install windows to use my mp3-player. linux does detect it, but the player-software doesn't. Not even VM-Ware works with it (it's not a usb-massstorage device). So I have to install windows again. i've added an eight partition at the end - and tried to install win2k on it - but it doesn't work, 'cause windows wants to install its bootmanager on the first partition, which is ext3. Do you have any ideas, how windows can be installed anyway? i don't want to change the first 7 partitions.

Thanks in advance

#2 2004-07-09 15:21:02

dp
Website

Re: Installing Windows

- install windows first without installing the bootloader in MBR, but in your 8th partition (i'm not sure if it is possible, because it's long ago i played with winXX installations)

- create a boot record on your 8th partition with ms-sys (in extra) and tell lilo to boot this partition as "other"

other=/dev/discs/disc0/part7  
      label=windows

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-07-09 18:10:22

rezza

dp wrote:

- install windows first without installing the bootloader in MBR, but in your 8th partition (i'm not sure if it is possible, because it's long ago i played with winXX installations)

Unfortunately, thats impossible. Windows automatically puts a bootloader on MBR when you install it, and you have no choice or control over it.

You're going to have to install windows then use a livecd to install you bootloader of choice again afterwards, then just point it at your windows partition.

#4 2004-07-10 05:45:25

Atriqus

Here's the way I always install windows after linux:

install grub to a floppy...  from what I remember, this is how you do it.
# grub
grub> root (hd0,1)  (or wherever your boot is)
grub> setup (fd0)
grub> quit

so no matter how hard windows tries to screw with grub, it can't touch it; just put the diskette back in after you've installed windows.   I assume you can do the same with LILO, but I've haven't used it since my Mandrake days.

When you put the diskette back in, you can load linux back up and reinstall grub/lilo

=> Now known as jb

#5 2004-07-11 18:33:36

zbled

I'm too lame to install windows. I'm always getting this message

To install Windows 2000 on the partition you selected setup must write some startup files to the following disk:

disk 0 at id0 on bus 0

However this disk doesn't contain a Windows 2000 compatible partition... (and so on)

I've removed the bootsektor manually, I did a fdisk /mbr, I did a fixmbr and so on - but nothing helped, I cannot install it - crappy os.

#6 2004-07-11 20:06:31

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I remember having that problem a couple years ago, but I'm not sure how I fixed it... I think I ended up deleting a partition using a DOS bootdisk and fdisk and creating and formatting afresh.

Dusty

#7 2004-07-11 22:21:13

Haakon

zbled wrote:

It might be the wrong forum ;-)

You know it smile There's a forum called Offtopic which is exactly right for this kind of thread ("Not Arch- or linux-related? Talk about it here!").

That said, what kind of crappy MP3 player is that you have? I thought "all" players use usbstorage these days. With mine, all I have to do is attach it and mount /dev/sda4 smile

Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

#8 2004-07-12 10:04:10

tmadhavan

Same here. Made sure I didn't get something that needed proprietary software to run, no way any MS software is ever going back on this machine.

So what if I can't use JetAudio MusicMegaMixer or whatever crap comes with it, when I can just 

cp *.mp3 /mnt/mp3 

Hehehehehe.........

T

#9 2004-07-13 16:35:53

matto
Website

hi there
i´m just a rookie but...
why don´t you resize/move your first partition? about 10 mb, put freedos onto it and windows will be happy?
btw i use lilo and put it into my root partition not mbr, in mbr i´ve got a boot loader called xosl with mouse support etc, looks and behaves like windows.. why? i wasnt albe to configure lilo when i startet with linux :-)
greeting matto

// DAMNiAM //

#10 2004-07-14 02:41:38

dp
Website

yes, resizing or/and moving the first partition may be the solution ... the tool for this may be http://www.sysresccd.org/ - but be warned that it is a very dangerous operation with chance of data loss

by the way: what mp3-player do you have? 99% of the available hardware is supported under linux, if not by usb_storage, then by a native driver --- and in the end: it would be much easier to write a driver for your hardware than to try to install windows (feel free to quote this :-) )

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#11 2004-07-14 20:25:38

zbled

it's the mpio fl100 mp3-player, and there 's a linux driver, which doesn't work here, even if the mp3-player's detected from linux

boise [/home/boise] # tail /var/log/messages
Jul 14 22:22:40 heisl usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using address 3

[root@heisl boise]# mpiosh

ERROR: Could not access the player
Verify that the the player is
connected and powered up.

could not find MPIO player.
mpio <i>

I'm using a 2.6.7 kernel, patched with Con Kolivas' patchset (ck5).

#12 2004-07-19 18:20:31

correct

I had the same problem. I had two harddisks, but I had to physically change them before I could install. I love one product of M$ (and it's not Windows), but the rest sucks....

Board footer