You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-27 16:02:12

phabulosa
Website

New 3D effect of Impress in Openoffice 2.4, did you get it?

I just upgrade my openoffice to 2.4 (ARch64).
However, I didn't see the new 3D effects as shown here
http://www.oooninja.com/2008/02/eye-can … press.html

However, I didn't see these new eye candies. Did you get to see it? How?

#2 2008-03-28 00:23:41

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: New 3D effect of Impress in Openoffice 2.4, did you get it?

[OT]
While I find them somewhat original in a presentation application, I believe they're quite useless. To be honest I hate all the Power Point-like applications, with all those stupid effects.
[/OT]

Now, let me get more interesting: from what I can see those effects are only included as an extension:

The 3D transitions feature will be generally available in OpenOffice.org 2.4—but only for Linux. The upstream OpenOffice.org edition will package the feature as an extension. Other editions of OpenOffice.org, such as OxygenOffice and Go-Oo, may include integrate the feature.

On the OpenOffice website you can read:

Transition is an animation where one page is visible in the beginning and another in the end. It is used during presentation slideshow to switch pages. OpenOffice.org 2.4 makes it possible to use an extension (using OpenGL) to show these 3D transitions, and when OpenOffice.org 2.4 is released, this extension will be available.

So I would suggest you to give a look here.

Now, I don't use OpenOffice myself, so that's as far as I can help you. I wish you good luck smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#3 2008-03-28 00:41:18

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Who cares, they're useless wink

#4 2008-03-28 02:13:25

peets
Website

TV stations have been using these effects for years (esp. sports channels). They won't even impress your friends!

#5 2008-03-31 18:43:28

JoyFM
Website

you have to use the build flags
--enable-opengl --enable-ogltrans
in autgen.sh
take a look at : http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik … structions

maybe nice if we implement this... although it isn't that usefull ^^

#6 2008-04-19 23:22:09

MartinZ

I don't agree with the uselessness of visual effects. One of the main reasons of keynote's success is precisely the beauty of it's transitions. Anyway, if an application providepreciselys some feature, i think official packages shouldn't suppress it just because maintainer thinks that it's useless. I mean, developers surely worked a lot on it because they thought it was worth the effort.

All your base are belong to us

#7 2008-05-04 00:26:56

jotapesan
Website

MartinZ wrote:

I don't agree with the uselessness of visual effects. One of the main reasons of keynote's success is precisely the beauty of it's transitions. Anyway, if an application providepreciselys some feature, i think official packages shouldn't suppress it just because maintainer thinks that it's useless. I mean, developers surely worked a lot on it because they thought it was worth the effort.

i agree. btw, i modified the PKGBUILD adding the --enable-opengl --enable-ogltrans options, but it didnt work. The compilation process took 6 hours and 7G of disk space. what a waste sad

#8 2008-05-04 14:58:53

monshin

jotapesan wrote:
MartinZ wrote:

i agree. btw, i modified the PKGBUILD adding the --enable-opengl --enable-ogltrans options, but it didnt work. The compilation process took 6 hours and 7G of disk space. what a waste sad

I tried it too, with the same results. Double waste.

#9 2008-05-05 09:31:19

Denacke

monshin wrote:
jotapesan wrote:
MartinZ wrote:

I tried it too, with the same results. Double waste.

Same here, except it took 10 hours big_smile. Wonder when we'll get it smile

Board footer