You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-10 00:21:06

longhornxtreme

rc.conf, rc.local and modprobe.conf help at boot time

This is my first post so cut a newbie some slack  big_smile

I'm having a pain of a time setting up my laptop to load my i810_audio module when placed into modprobe.conf.  If I put the module in rc.conf it loads fine but the whole purpose of this is to learn the syntax of modprobe.conf correctly.  I've tried adding

modprobe i810_audio
alias i810_audio
alias sound i810_audio
exec modprobe i810_audio

None of those work.  Am i just not using correct syntax in the modprobe.conf file? Or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Another problem I'm having is getting my wireless card to configure itself at boot time.  Ndiswrapper is installed correctly and functioning just fine but I can't seem to get it to load correctly at boot time.

Basically these are the commands I need a script to run at boot time

iwconfig wlan0 key ********** restricted
iwconfig wlan0 essid SSID
dhcpcd wlan0

and everything's hunky dory.  But adding those commands to rc.local do not do the trick. 

I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that I usually have to issue the "iwconfig wlan0 essid SSID" command more than once or wait some time for the card to pick up the available networks.  Is there a way to make the script pause for say 5 seconds after issuing the key command?  Also should I somehow stop and restart the network daemon after issuing those  commands? 

Also I'm having trouble setting up kdm to start without adding it as a daemon in rc.conf.  I'd rather it be associated to the runlevel so it doesn't happen at init 3 and only at init 5.  I haven't been able to find on the net the proper syntax for modifiying the /etc/inittab file down with the x=5 line. 

Thanks in advance for any advice and I'll be more than happy to post any additional info needed to answer these questions

James

#2 2004-07-10 06:09:36

jason

Re: rc.conf, rc.local and modprobe.conf help at boot time

For the modprobe.conf, you might want to check out the ten thousand alsa tutorials out there.

For the wireless card, do you have the card's driver in the modules part of rc.conf?  I do this to setup my wireless in my rc.local:

iwconfig wlan0 mode master essid "flacid.org" key s:<mywepkey> channel 3
ifconfig wlan0 up
dhcpcd wlan0

#3 2004-07-10 13:55:53

ravster
Website

You might be able to use the hwd package for finding out the correct module for sound support. Just click hardware detection on the archlinux website, and install the package onto your computer. Using the link shows you how to use it in much more detail than I would be able to do over here.

#4 2004-07-10 14:10:26

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

or even try alsaconf

HTH

Mr Green

Mr Green

#5 2004-07-12 02:06:43

longhornxtreme

I have gotten audio to work....

I was basically just trying to understand how the system uses modprobe.conf to load modules.  I guess I'm just trying to understand the difference between loading a module in rc.conf vs. loading a module in modprobe.conf

#6 2004-07-13 04:18:05

mculey

For kdm as your login manager you need to edit /etc/inittab.  Change the first non commented line from this

id:3:initdefault;

to this

id:5:initdefault;

Leaving it like this will cause xdm to be your boot manager.  Down at the bottom of the file you should see:

x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon

Comment it out and put this instead:

x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon

No you're using kdm as your default login manager. Go KDE! :-)

Board footer