You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-29 21:12:35

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Nitrogen doesn't work

Hey all,

I have a dual screen setup with with the intel driver (00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)).

Nitrogen isn't working for me. I run it and it displays the images in the current folder just fine. But if I select one and click 'apply', I get a strange error on the console:

The program 'nitrogen' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 5361 error_code 9 request_code 14 minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

The program exits on the command line, but the Nitrogen frame stays open. It remains completely non-interactive and I can only kill it with xkill.

My window manager is pekwm. I vaguely recall Nitrogen working fine on this setup before. I have Nitrogen --restore in my .pekwm/start file and it loads separate images on my two monitors just fine. But I am unable to select a new wallpaper using nitrogen's selector.

Any ideas?

Dusty

#2 2008-03-29 22:24:40

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: Nitrogen doesn't work

*ahem* you did file a bug report, right? wink

Just kidding...well, I had a go with it myself and it's working okay with my setup, but then again I use Openbox with an ATI fglrx config and only one monitor at the moment.  Hopefully someone else can shed some light. 

I do recall that about 2-3 months ago nitrogen had a nasty bug that would crash it upon applying a new wallpaper.  I went back to feh for a while because of it, but I've been using nitrogen for about 3 weeks now and haven't had any problems.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2008-03-29 22:34:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'm not married to using nitrogen, but I haven't found anything that allows different images on different monitors... I didn't look too hard though.

Bug report? We don't need no stinking bug reports! I can't tell if this is config related, upstream, or arch related. I'm assuming its something in my system cause its pretty blatant.

Dusty

#4 2008-03-29 22:59:04

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Pyther fixed it!

rm .config/nitrogen/ -r

Dusty

#5 2008-04-24 19:22:31

nightm4re
Website

heh, looks like we need some better tests or something.  any idea what you had in there to start?  i'm not sure what values would be in there to make it dump an X error but hmm...

Board footer