You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-15 08:40:10

soylent_green_is_hamster

thunar-volman problem

Hi All,

getting a weird problem with thunar-volman in xfce, any changes I make to the options are not saved. As soon as I reopen the thunar volman manager, all the settings have gone back to their default values.

I have write permission to ~/.config/Thunar, and I don't seem to be getting any error messages, it just doesn't recognise I have changed the options!

any ideas anyone?

thanks!

#2 2007-08-15 19:50:21

soylent_green_is_hamster

Re: thunar-volman problem

well....no idea what was going on there, but after a reboot, it seems to work ok now.
Unfortunately, I still don't get auto mounting unless thunar itself is actually running. I was under the impression that xfce (which is what I'm using!) should start a Thunar-daemon process, but this doesn't seem to be happening. I can start it manually, and auto mounting works, but it's not ideal.

Am I right about this daemon, should it be running?

(I start xfce with the startxfce4 script)

Cheers

#3 2007-08-15 21:38:31

mr.MikyMaus

I use XFCE as well and I don't have any daemon explicitly started. Automounter works just fine, but you have to comment out all removable media-related lines in /etc/fstab for the automounter to work correctly.

And you have to set up correct behaviour for xfce desktop: go to settings->desktop->behaviour and make sure there is "file/launcher icons" selected in Desktop Icons. It is not directly related with thunar but few months ago I had some problem with this settings.

-miky

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

#4 2007-08-15 22:38:28

soylent_green_is_hamster

ah yes, you're right. Enabling the desktop icons does result in automounting. Reason being that Thunar --daemon seems gets started by xfce only when the desktop icons are enabled!

Still quite annoying as I have my desktop icons turned off, but thanks anyway for your reply!

#5 2007-08-15 23:35:57

Allan
Pacman
Website

Just to confuse things, I have desktop icons disabled and automounting still happens.  And I don't have thunar-volman installed.  So the must be a less annoying solution to your problem... I just don't know what it is.

#6 2007-08-16 08:27:36

soylent_green_is_hamster

Weird. Are you sure that devices actually get mounted? When I insert a dvd, or a device, it gets detected by hal, and an icon appears for it in thunar (and the desktop, if I have icons enabled), but it doesn't get explicitly mounted onto the filesystem until I actually click on it (which I think is the normal behaviour)

#7 2007-08-16 10:33:33

mr.MikyMaus

To Allan: you may be using other means of automountig, like automount, supermount, pmount, etc.. Thunar-volman is yet another approach for automounting. Each of them has its pros and cons. I've even heard HAL can be configured to automount by itself, but I've never tried it nor I have even been interested in it that anyway.

To soylent_green_is_hamste: you can always start thunar daemon via XFCE's autostarted applications or add it to your ~/.config/xfce/xinitc init script. Automounting then has to be enabled in Thunar Volume Management configuration.

You said you had a problem with Thunar volman remembering its configuration - I had similar problem and I *think* it may by caused by not-well-implemented backward compatibility of config file. You could try purging Thunar config directory. If I remember correctly that is what helped me.

-m.

What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

#8 2007-08-25 04:51:00

Ilya

I have the same problem: thunar-volman doesn't work.
The reason is not in desktop icons, i think.

My solution
1) pacman -S thunar-volman
2) go to thunar settings (last tab), check "Enable volume management"
3) /etc/rc.conf: add "hal" to "DAEMONS" array
4) add your user to group "storage" and, maybe, "optical"
5) /etc/fstab: remove all records about CD/DVD/USB-flash
Standart Arch record in /etc/fstab says to mount /dev/dvd as UDF, /dev/cd as iso9660 (both are the same on my computer), but HAL mounts CD as /dev/dvd with iso9660. HAL conflicts with /etc/fstab in that case!
6) reboot (because restart XFCE, X, HAL or logout doesn't works)
7) Yesss? big_smile

Last edited by Ilya (2007-08-29 14:52:36)

#9 2007-08-27 13:25:12

soylent_green_is_hamster

Ilya, the reason was the desktop icons (as explained by MikyMaus in his first post)
more explicitly, with desktop icons off, the thunar daemon process does not start by default. Without that daemon running, thunar volman will not automount unless thunar itself is running.
To ensure correct automounting with volman, you need thunar running, or have a thunar dameon process running

cheers anyway!

#10 2007-08-29 15:18:36

Ilya

I just now reinstall Arch "from scratch" via FTP. I made following steps:

1) install "xorg", then "xfce4" (all packages)
2) add "hal" and "fam" to "DAEMONS" array in /etc/rc.conf
3) add my user to group "storage" and "optical"
4) remove all records about CD/DVD in /etc/fstab
5) reboot

And after that i have USB-Flash and CD/DVD working! Without thunar-volman and without icons on my desktop! smile I can mount/unmount devices via thunar (with or without icons on desktop) and via desktop too (if icons enabled).

Only one difference: devices mounts only when i open thunar and try to access it. Automounting "on-the-fly", when thunar don't starts independently, is not going.

#11 2008-03-30 22:11:54

mjjzf
Website

Спасибо!
That was exactly what I was looking for.

Board footer