You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-28 07:15:33

kawazu

[newbie] xorg, intel, I830WaitLpRing() error?

Folks;

first off, being rather new to archlinux, let me say I am pretty impressed with what I see after getting the system up and running. Been into Linux for quite a bunch of years by now, having dealt with Xubuntu as of recently and am looking for a more straightforward alternative which is, well, "lighter" on resources on my machine. Did I mention I was using Slackware before that?

Anyhow: Installing a current archlinux on my machine worked almost without any troubles, except for one "show-stopper": I am using a notebook featuring an intel 945gm display controller docked and connected to an external TFT, usually making use of xrandr to use a xinerama-like dual-screen experience (notebook-LVDS "right-of" the TFT). Usually I get this configured according to (1), which however made my X server just blow up immediately in arch. Reading through the Xorg.log, I found I am likely to be stumbled across (2) here as well (an issue that already bugged me in other distributions). The final post in the bug list mentions installing a pre-release intel driver right from xorg, and now I wonder what is the best way of doing so following the "arch way". Somehow I hesitate just to pull and install the package off freedesktop.org, are there any binary packages of that driver available right now? Is there a better way of getting this code installed?

Thanks loads and best regards,
Kristian

(1) http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2
(2) http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8976

#2 2008-03-31 06:24:51

kawazu

Re: [newbie] xorg, intel, I830WaitLpRing() error?

Folks,
adding to that: I have (kinda) resolved the issue temporarily by throwing in an intel_drv.so taken off a current ubuntu distribution which seems to make things work, at least now I am kind of a happy archlinux user in front of my two screens. However one more thing: I couldn't help noticing that, comparing to other distributions running dual-screen, it seems the X in arch is astoundingly slow in this setup. Any ideas why it could be this way?

TIA and best regards,
Kristian

Board footer