You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-31 03:11:31

jellywerker

awesome vs. dwm

What's your opinion? I've gotten frustrated at the frequent breaking changes in awesome, along with some other minor issues, like the inability to use the old text tag arrangement indicators, and am considering going back to dwm, as I can't remember why I switched in the first place. Or would now be a good time to check out xmonad?

#2 2008-03-31 06:13:32

Ashren
Website

Re: awesome vs. dwm

The new hg tip of dwm (the upcoming 4.9) is a beautiful piece of work -  for me it has all the functionality of dwm 4.7 and a new way setting up dual screens. So I would definetly recommend going back to dwm.

A bit OT: I think that dwm is easier to configure than awesome and with dzen2 it looks just as good. It is still does not have support for xft fonts.

Last edited by Ashren (2008-03-31 06:14:27)

#3 2008-03-31 08:08:19

wuischke

For me xmonad is the first tiling windows manager I really use (which survived more than half an hour) and I like it. The configuration is a bit complicated in the beginning and floating window support is little sophisticated, but otherwise I'm very happy with it.

#4 2008-03-31 08:32:05

strankan

jellywerker wrote:

What's your opinion? I've gotten frustrated at the frequent breaking changes in awesome, along with some other minor issues, like the inability to use the old text tag arrangement indicators, and am considering going back to dwm, as I can't remember why I switched in the first place. Or would now be a good time to check out xmonad?

I've recently migrated away from awesome as well and I'm gonna move over to xmonad now that 0.7 has been released. If I could only get xmobar working with it I would be a very happy man. The main thing that bothers me about xmonad at the moment is the floating issue. When using awesome or wmii I could make the entire workspace float, but in xmonad I can't get that working properly. Will have another look after work tonight to see if I'm missing something.

Board footer