You are not logged in.

#76 2008-03-29 17:17:06

miggols99

Re: Daily KDE4 Subversion Packages

SoftVision wrote:

Hi. I'm using KDE 4.0.3 right now via KDEmod. I'd like to know how you'll find the KDE 4.1 (svn version) at the moment? How stable is it? I'm happy with 4.0.2 so far.

I haven't had any crashes with it recently, except when I used Compiz Fusion (but that's the Intel drivers fault). Everything else is running very smoothly, even though it is SVN. There are also extra applications such as K3B, KOffice and Amarok (which is looking really good at the moment). But be prepared for a lot of updates. Hundreds of MBs every day...don't use this if you have a slow internet connection!

I can highly recommend that you use this repo. But don't blame me if things are crashing!

#77 2008-03-29 17:26:55

SoftVision

Well I wouldn't mind taking the risk. Maybe do a fresh install as well. I'd like to use it as my primary desktop. How is KOffice? I had asked about it earlier in this thread and markc was kind enough to upload it. So how is it compared to the current 1.6 version? Also, why would I need to update every day. I mean sure, its SVN, but if it works then it wouldn't be too bad if I stick to it for say a week before I get time again to update? My PC isn't on 24/7.

#78 2008-03-29 17:50:35

markc
Website

@SoftVision: I'm happy with this svn version. It was a bit rough a week or so ago with plasma crashing but I notice lots of bug reports from kubuntu and opensuse users, still, whereas these daily builds have long been fixed while they're still stuck with a dud set of packages. It's interesting to watch fixes go through the mailing-lists and see the results within about 48 hours. The main problem with these packages are they were not set up to work nicely with the standard KDE or KDEmod3/4 so upgrading may be anything from rough to a disaster. A fresh dual install is recommended. These daily builds also include Qt4.4 so things like webkit are available, along with any bugs both may have (being new). There are probably always going to be little things that don't work right because svn is a moving target but in general I am certainly happy with the desktop as it is right now and find myself mainly getting on with general work other than just fighting svn build fires. I'd go as far to say I think svn has hit a tipping point of serious 4.1 goodness and it's all downhill from here on in.

"Also, why would I need to update every day."

Well you certainly don't have to, the point is that when you do decide to do an update that the packages will only be 24 to 48 hours old straight out of svn with fixes, and bugs, but usually less and less bugs. Once a week on Fridays is not a bad strategy as new fixes often go in on Monday so the start of the week may be rough (I read that somewhere, no idea if it's true).

"Koffice"

I've started and looked at most of the suite but I couldn't say if it works well compared to 1.6. I'd be surprised if it's "better" and more stable than 1.6 at this point in time. However, it may be quite usable. Like I say, if you have a dual boot system, with a common /home/ partition, then you can easily try it out and drop back to the older system if need be.

@miggols99: I tried compiling qt-gtk-engine but I think there is a problem with gcc 4.3. I sent the author a note so hopefully it'll come thru in a few days, or soon at least. Yeah, gtk apps are so ugly.

Last edited by markc (2008-03-29 18:02:34)

#79 2008-03-29 18:23:03

SoftVision

gtk-qt-engine works fine in KDE 4.0.2 compiled from svn version. Hope it gets fixed for you. I think I'll go for your repo one of these days markc, once I get some other work done. By then I'll hopefully have the new Arch ISOs as well.

#80 2008-03-30 04:46:23

SoftVision

One more question. Does KGet come with torrent support? At the moment I have to use KTorrent that depends on Qt3.

#81 2008-03-30 09:14:18

markc
Website

The ktorrent that comes with KDE4 svn works fine. I just downloaded the fitna movie. The last time I tried kget the torrent interface didn't seem to be obvious, or didn't work, so I didn't bother seeing ktorrent is available. The only 2 things I find a bit annoying are form widgets in konqueror, using the KHTML kpart, and kmail passing off image attachments to gwenview still crashes for me. Okular (PDF reader) works really well... kate's just fine... dragon (player) works well, konsole fine (didn't render the bottom last few lines properly up till 2 weeks ago). I still use firefox2 but mainly for the Firebug and irc chat extensions (no konversation and kopete does not do irc yet). I have even got used to using the kickoff menu now I have all my favourites in the first pane. I've got my ctrl-left|right desktop keys worked out and about the only thing I miss is the ability to autohide the panel and aseigo mentioned that is on his todo list rsn. For me, KDE4 svn is now 95%+ as good as KDE3 is.

#82 2008-03-30 15:45:02

srimalik

where do i get/install a k3b for kde4?, seems that some packages which it need conflict with kde4 packages
[edit] : Seems that its still being worked upon, so I will settle with nautilu-cd-burner for some time.

Last edited by srimalik (2008-03-30 16:00:17)

#83 2008-03-31 09:02:37

SoftVision

srimalik wrote:

where do i get/install a k3b for kde4?, seems that some packages which it need conflict with kde4 packages
[edit] : Seems that its still being worked upon, so I will settle with nautilu-cd-burner for some time.

If you're using markc's repo, then pacman -S k3b will get it for you. Make sure markc's kde repo is above all your repos or above the 'extra' repo in /etc/pacman.conf.

Last edited by SoftVision (2008-03-31 09:06:06)

#84 2008-03-31 09:08:56

SoftVision

Ok I've installed kde-svn now and it seems to be fine. Some icons are missing but I think its due to a clash with KDEmod 4.0.2 which I had removed but there seems to be some files left behind. Is there a command to rebuild the icon cache by any chance? I'm trying to find anything to do with kdemod and remove it as well.

I'm also having trouble compiling the gtk-qt-engine and even gtk-kde4. It turns out that my previous install of Qt seems to have forgotten to remove the configuration. So I'm getting an error saying that Qmake can't be found. What do I do?

Also, Gwenview refuses to open.

Last edited by SoftVision (2008-03-31 10:04:06)

#85 2008-03-31 11:34:31

Maki
Website

after the upgrade today kwin can't focus the windows when i click on them.

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#86 2008-03-31 12:49:08

zephyr

SoftVision wrote:

Ok I've installed kde-svn now and it seems to be fine. Some icons are missing but I think its due to a clash with KDEmod 4.0.2 which I had removed but there seems to be some files left behind. Is there a command to rebuild the icon cache by any chance? I'm trying to find anything to do with kdemod and remove it as well.

I'm also having trouble compiling the gtk-qt-engine and even gtk-kde4. It turns out that my previous install of Qt seems to have forgotten to remove the configuration. So I'm getting an error saying that Qmake can't be found. What do I do?

Try: 

kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

for the icons. For the gtk-qt-engine, have you installed qt-copy-dev?

markc, many thanks for the packages.:):)

#87 2008-03-31 13:10:56

SoftVision

zephyr wrote:
SoftVision wrote:

Try: 

kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental

for the icons. For the gtk-qt-engine, have you installed qt-copy-dev?

markc, many thanks for the packages.:):)

I installed qt-copy-dev. But now I get this error: ERROR: unable to find KDE 4 headers during the make process. The icons for kget, amarok etc don't seem to exist on the system itself. I checked /usr/share/icons/oxygen completely and there was no sign of anything for kget or any of the others.

I fixed Gwenview thanks to one of the earlier posts. I'm downloading kdemod-doc since markc mentioned that Oxygen's svgs are included there. This could include the other icons as well.

Last edited by SoftVision (2008-03-31 14:37:53)

#88 2008-03-31 17:12:40

srimalik

SoftVision wrote:
srimalik wrote:

If you're using markc's repo, then pacman -S k3b will get it for you. Make sure markc's kde repo is above all your repos or above the 'extra' repo in /etc/pacman.conf.

I installed k3b from the repos[kde] but it isn't working, which packages delivers libkcddb.so.4?

bash-3.2$ k3b
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libkcddb.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
bash-3.2$

#89 2008-03-31 17:51:52

Noneus
Website

Could you add gstreamer engine to phonon?

#90 2008-03-31 18:53:36

ZS-Man

Hi, what is prefix for KDE/QT ?  Eg. for compile krusader2 (cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/ -DQT_INCLUDES=/usr/share/qt4/include) or for compile plasmoid (cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/kde/4.0 ) ?

#91 2008-03-31 19:27:36

zephyr

@SoftVision

Sorry, forgot to mention kdelibs-dev and also kdebase-dev.

I also seem to have lost amarok's icons (haven't checked kget though). No worries, they'll come back smile

@ZS-Man

I succesfully installed plasmoids by just using : cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr .

Also I read this article about KDE 4.1 svn, and some features seem to be missing from my installation. Can someone verify the same? (i.e. the mac osx widget choice, some plasmoids like rss etc.)

Here's the article link

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-4-rev-79 … rformance/

Last edited by zephyr (2008-03-31 19:28:31)

#92 2008-03-31 20:01:13

Maki
Website

zephyr wrote:

@SoftVision

Sorry, forgot to mention kdelibs-dev and also kdebase-dev.

I also seem to have lost amarok's icons (haven't checked kget though). No worries, they'll come back smile

@ZS-Man

I succesfully installed plasmoids by just using : cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr .

Also I read this article about KDE 4.1 svn, and some features seem to be missing from my installation. Can someone verify the same? (i.e. the mac osx widget choice, some plasmoids like rss etc.)

Here's the article link

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-4-rev-79 … rformance/

They are missing cause they are in playground/extragear

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#93 2008-03-31 20:39:03

zephyr

I see Maki. Thanks for the info.

markc is it possible to have extragear and playground packages? Thanks.

#94 2008-04-01 05:50:44

markc
Website

SoftVision wrote:

I've got a pristine install and kcalc and dragon icons are missing, might not be KDEmod4's fault. Ah maybe you need to install the SVGs from kdebase-doc. I know, a weird place to put them but it was an easy option to move them out of kdebase proper. I was under the impression they are not used during runtime but maybe they are used for missing icons. kbuildsycoca4 - Rebuilds the system configuration cache, not sure about icons though.

Check in /etc/profile.d and remove all qt.sh and kde.sh files and restart KDE. That's the main reason I chose to use absolute defaults for these svn packages, other than the cmake option -DMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr, so they don't need any special settings to find and build themselves. I'm pretty sure the gtk-qt-engine build problem is gcc/g++ 4.3 related as it's much stricter with include files, and the error I'm seeing sort of looks like it could be because of missing some includes.

pkgname=gtk-qt-engine
pkgver=1.1
pkgrel=20080401
pkgdesc="The GTK-Qt Theme Engine is a plugin for GTK that allows GTK applications to use Qt widget styles"
url="http://gtk-qt.ecs.soton.ac.uk/"
arch=(i686 x86_64)
license=(GPL)
depends=(qt)
makedepends=(cmake)
source=($pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)

build() {
  cd $srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver
  cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release
  make DESTDIR=$pkgdir install || return 1
}

gwenview itself (kdegraphics 4.1.0-20080401) runs okay for me but it still won't show images from kmail attachments because they are saved out as zero length files in /tmp/kde-user/*.

maki wrote:

after the upgrade today kwin can't focus the windows when i click on them.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, they seem okay here.

@zephyr: thanks for the thanks. My system installs qt-copy-dev by defaults (needed to build the rest of the packages) but I still can't get a clean gtk-qt-engine build.

@Noneus: any clues how to go about adding the gstreamer engine to phonon ? (I'm not 100% sure it's available otherwise it would be part of the regular build, methinks)

@zephyr again: I think I have to build each extragear and playground package separetly. Which ones are needed most ? There is a plasma package but it doesn't seem to have any osx widgets.

And in general, I am trying to set up a Git repo for the source packages but I'm going to be stuck for a few weeks doing some sort of ENGLISH web frontend for news and an ENGLISH forum'ish thingie, and some dedicated ENGLISH mailing-lists (heh). I'll also generalize the fairly small bash script I use to build the packages so anyone can build their own but I'd rather wait till I have some support and bug/wish lists in place.

Damnit, where's the Submit button gone... I guess it's the one on the LHS (heh, again).

Last edited by markc (2008-04-01 05:54:06)

#95 2008-04-01 05:58:14

Noneus
Website

I don't really know. But on older builds, where you compiled phonon in qt-copy, qt-copy had a gstreamer backend.

#96 2008-04-01 06:59:03

markc
Website

Noneus wrote:

I don't really know. But on older builds, where you compiled phonon in qt-copy, qt-copy had a gstreamer backend.

Doh, probably as simple as installing gstreamer0.10 packages, which I hadn't because I didn't know phonon used gstreamer yet. With a bit of luck 20080402 will have a gstreamer backend for phonon. Thanks for pointing this out.

#97 2008-04-01 10:43:47

SoftVision

@markc: I sorted out Gwenview, the solution was mentioned earlier in this thread. It involved symlinks I think. I also fixed the gtk-qt-engine by installing kdebase-dev, kdelibs-dev. I did install kdebase-doc and did get svgs but that didn't help. How is it that those icons are missing anyway? Why would it get removed from the SVN anyway? I hope it comes back soon.

Also could you tell me how to install Ark for KDE 4? I get confused with the commands for having to extract tar.gz, .tar.bz2 and .tar.

@zephyr: Thanks. smile

Last edited by SoftVision (2008-04-01 10:53:18)

#98 2008-04-01 12:10:14

Noneus
Website

isn't ark in kdeutils?

#99 2008-04-01 14:46:58

zephyr

@markc

I have installed qt-copy-dev kdelibs-dev and kdebase-dev from your repo, and I just compiled the gtk-qt-engine. It builds fine with the new gcc (haven' t tested the new package, but I had compiled gtk-qt with gcc 4.2 10 days ago and the gtk-qt source is the same). I will test it later but I bet it's ok.

About the playground/extragear, it's no biggie. If it's too much of a hassle, don't bother.
I think playground plasma applets, would be nice though, since I believe you can make one package with all of them. Here's the svn address : svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/playground/base/plasma

And about the ENGLISH stuff, good luck, but maybe you should consider German? big_smile

@SoftVision

No prob. smile

Last time I checked ark (about a week ago) it was uselless, meaning it couldn't even untar. Maybe it's fixed now, but anyway embrace the cli tongue

Last edited by zephyr (2008-04-01 23:11:45)

#100 2008-04-02 09:39:09

laleshii

the folderview plasmoid from the playground is a must have ... don't know exactly how to build it separately.

Board footer