You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-01 19:27:59

Nathan P

Rewrite Partition info or changing current partition to just /home?

I nuked Windoze and moved my Arch partition to the left and expanded it to fill the space.  Now, it's still named sda2, but that doesn't matter so much.  I am wondering though, I had ntfs-3g setup so I could transfer my files from Windows over to Arch.  Now that the windows partition is gone, I'm getting an error on bootup complaining about ntfs-3g and an unknown partition.  My question is, is there a way to clean all that up, or, alternatively, can I make my current partition into just a home folder and reinstall the base system?  I have a ton of media and personal files I don't want to lose (I originally only had 40 gb for Arch, I didn't want to separate it into a / and /home partitions since I was mostly playing with it at first lol) and I don't really have anywhere to put them.

Thanks,
Nathan

#2 2008-04-01 21:18:19

ghostHack

Re: Rewrite Partition info or changing current partition to just /home?

Look in the /etc/fstab file, there should be an entry like

/dev/sda1   /your/old/windows/mount/point    ntfs-3g  defaults 0 1

the error in the boot sequence is because the bootscripts are trying to mount the now non-existent /dev/sda1 partition.
Just edit /etc/fstab to remove this line and the error will go away, there's no need to re-install just for this issue.

#3 2008-04-01 21:48:28

Nathan P

out of curiosity...  Is there a way to rename my Arch partition sda1?

#4 2008-04-01 22:04:01

ghostHack

It might be possible, however, if you have no way of backing up your data I would live with sda2 as the only way I can think of involves using fdisk to remove and re-create the partition.  Clearly if anything goes wrong with the fdisk step there's a high probability of losing your data.

Someone else may know of an easier/safer way to do it.

Board footer