You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-13 08:25:07

phunni

Hotplug kills my network

Almost called this thread "Rock Star ate my Hamster" but it didn't seem to really communicate the problem quite so well...

Anyway - whenever I start hotplug, I lose networking.  Restarting the network or reloading the module (forcedeth) makes no difference.

When starting hotplug it does say something about disabling the device with IRQ 11, but nothing else and no reason given...

Any ideas?

#2 2004-07-13 11:02:20

lanrat

Re: Hotplug kills my network

Maybe hotplug tries to start another module for your network card which disables your network device? Compare lsmod ouput before and after starting hotplug. If you see any addtional (not needed) modules loaded by hotplug try to disable them by putting these module names in /etc/hotplug/blacklist (I'm writting from my memory and I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct path). You can also unload unnecessary modules with modprobe -r modulename. Then you can load forcedeath module again and restart network with /etc/rc.d/network restart (if don't want to reboot).

#3 2004-07-13 11:24:28

phunni

Hotplug only seems to load uhci_hcd, ohci_hcd, ehci_hcd  and usbcore

The only way to get my network back is to stop hotplug (seems to also unload these modules) reload my network driver and restart he network.

This is a real issue as I need hotplug (and obviosuly my network).  My PDA connects via USB and hotplug is the easiest way to get it working

#4 2004-07-13 12:50:08

lanrat

What if you load all necessary usb modules from rc.conf and disable hotplug in the DAEMONS line? AFAIK hotplug running from rc.conf only does coldplugging ("hotplugs" only devices already connected during booting).
If you disable hotplug in rc.conf does your pda work when you just unplug and plug again its usb connector ? Does it also disable the network at the same time? If not maybe it would be worth configuring usb for your pda manually in some way (there should be some howto existing already).

#5 2004-07-13 13:16:48

lanrat

BTW this search http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+usb+hotplug+pda returns a few example configurations for pdas.
You didn't post your configs and pda name but could this also be true that hotplug tries to configure pda as eth0 instead of usb0? This could explain why your primary network card is beeing disabled.

#6 2004-07-13 13:20:18

phunni

Thanks, I'll check those out and play with module configs as you suggest.  BTW, my PDA is a Sony Clie NX80V

#7 2004-07-13 13:35:34

lanrat

This http://www.linuxpda.com/visor/howto/cur … ction.html looks like a good start too (clie compatible).

#8 2004-07-13 14:03:04

phunni

loading the modules manually fixes the problem - thanks.  I already had most of the setup done from my other linux installs - but I wasn't exactly sure which modules to use; hence the need for hotplug.  Now I've figured out what's necessary and it's all sorted.

Thanks again

Board footer