You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-30 21:29:09

timm

A soundcard for mythtv you're happy with

I'm currently struggling with issues regarding the snd-hda-intel feature of the current kernel/alsa/whoknows.

My mythtv "user" is starting to give me attitude about the whole thing.  I may have to drop some $ to put a card in (currently using the onboard anyway).

What soundcards (currently available through normal online channels) are people using that they are happy with?  Sound quality, setup experiences, etc.  I've found lots of information on "great" cards, only to search for a source and find out they're no longer made......

There's so much on the alsa matrix, particularly so many out of date cards, that I'm looking for other sources of information.   "SoundBlaster" works... would that be the SE, the X-Fi, the QRSKDIKF?:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any info.

#2 2008-03-30 21:48:29

brebs

Re: A soundcard for mythtv you're happy with

Do not touch the SE or X-fi with a bargepole. Use the search button.

#3 2008-03-30 22:29:24

timm

Yeah, I've searched, a lot.  One of the problems that I've run into is that people are not careful enough with their information; talking about sound cards in general terms that could include half a dozen models, rather than being specific.  However, I continue to search.

I did find a recommendation for a Creative card that has been retracted in light of the Creative driver debacle.  I've always thought Creative had something in common with MS.  lol

I did find a recommendation that a card using a CMI 8788 chip is  a good choice, and found a Bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1, although there seems to be some concern that its linux drivers don't actually work correctly.

#4 2008-03-30 22:51:10

brebs

Yep, the typical "information" on Linux soundcard support is given, AFAICT, by a 12yr fanboy who's only ever used one soundcard, in stereo mode only, with nothing better than $5 speakers. And thinks that it will probably sound better than the best audio equipment that money can buy. Who cares about all the professional reviews of soundcards and speakers that are just a bit of googling away from being in front of their eyes sad

Anyway, to answer your question, just get an Audigy 4. Second-hand, so Creative don't get any revenue.

#5 2008-04-02 13:03:13

timm

I've ordered one up (2nd hand) and will see how that works.  I also ran across the Asus Xonar DX2, which looks to be a promising card.

Board footer