You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-01 20:52:46

RaisedFist
Website

Sound off and audio/video apps blocked

For a few days I have a very weird problem. After a few hours of using the computer (4-5, I leave it on when I go to work so I can stream my music), everything related to sound is dead.
For example, mpd dies without any errors written in the error log. If I try to restart it doesn't work. It just hangs with no errors. Also, if I try to open a flash video in any browser, the browser just hangs on with no errors. I even tried to open amarok from the shell and just hangs with no errors.
The problem disappears after I reboot the computer, so I think it's something related to the sound driver. I have a Creative Audigy SE card.

I'd like to be more explicit, but I don't know what and where to look for logs. Maybe next time it happens I'll put here some logs if someone gave me a hint.

#2 2008-03-02 09:36:34

RaisedFist
Website

Re: Sound off and audio/video apps blocked

I found something weird in my /var/log/messages.log

Mar  2 11:35:23 eff possible SYN flooding on port 9889. Sending cookies

9889 is the port I'm using mpd on. What could be the cause for this?

#3 2008-03-02 10:06:13

Dheart

I have the exact same problem since 4-5 days after I stoped using moc player and switched to mpd/sonata. Sound is playing fine until at some point it just dies off: mpd dies (I have to kill mpd manually with kill pid and then restart it in order to fix the problem, or if I let mpd dead for ten minutes or so it fixes itself) gmplayer videos freeze at some point (when the sound dies) and I have to pause/unpause in order to move further in the movie (though pause/unpause only moves the video several seconds ahead and again freezes... I have to restart gmplayer in order to fix it) Sound in games I play with wine periodicaly freezes (When I run the game sound is fine, then it stops for 4 - 5 minutes, then again it starts for a while and then dies out and again after eventually completely dieing out or running fine...)  At first I thought it was software issue, but then just to test it I booted into WinXP and had the exact same problems: Sound dieing out every now and then... So I think it is hardware related problem so I'm going to buy a new sound card next week (my current sound card is integrated AC/97)
Also I read someone at ubuntu forums had similar problems and fixed it by running apt-get purge (Equivalent of pacman -Rd) to all alsa tools and libs, then installing them again and rebooting (that, however didn't fix my problem)

Last night my sound was so crippled that I couldn't even listen to one song without two deaths of the sound... however just two hours later with no apparent reason the problems stoped... I'm puzzle... I'll post again when I get my new Audio Card to see if there is an improvement.

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#4 2008-03-02 11:25:32

olleg

I am experiencing similar problems for several days now. I also use mpd. Sometimes restarting alsa and mpd helps, but sometimes it doesn't. After rebooting everything works fine.

$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

#5 2008-03-15 11:10:22

TheBodziO
Website

Don't seem like a hardware failure to me (at least little probable). I'm experiencing the same problem.

As long as I can remember I've got this one at one point in the past too, but back then I haven't got much time to investigate and after some updates all have sorted out itself.

I also don't think it's a client problem since the hang happens with both mpc and sonata on my setup. Also mdp (runned as --verbose --no-daemon --stdout) says:

interface 0: process command "status"
interface 0: command returned 0
interface 0: process command "currentsong"
interface 0: process command "play"

Bang! Nothing more at this point: no actions calls, no events, no more infos. Although after a couple of minutes or after killing mpd there's added:

interface 1: opened from 192.168.0.3
interface 0: process command "status"
playlist: play 34:"Misc/Fall Out Boy - Dead On Arrival.mp3"
closeAllListenSockets called
closing listen socket 0
closing listen socket 1
interface 0: closed
interface 1: closed
took 0.010000 to init player
copyMpdTagToOB: !acceptMetadata || !tag
decoder PID: 8621
copyMpdTagToOB: !acceptMetadata || !tag
interface 0: problems writing
Max Connections Reached!
interface 1: opened from 192.168.0.3
Max Connections Reached!
main process got SIGINT or SIGTERM, exiting
interface 0: closed
closeAllListenSockets called
closing listen socket 0
closing listen socket 1
closeMp3Directory took 0.010000 seconds
cleaning up pid file

Bizarre? Yes! smile. Couriuos? Even more so! smile

Also I've found this bug on mpd's mantis: http://www.musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1479. So it's cross-distro and cross-hardware since I've got:

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)

and experienced it previously on some via and cmi. I hope someone will come with solution soon. I mean—it's getting bad on my listening addiction wink.

Oh! I forgot to mention that I've tried both specifying "device" and leaving it out in "audio_output".

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#6 2008-03-15 15:04:29

danielsoft

RaisedFist wrote:

I found something weird in my /var/log/messages.log

Mar  2 11:35:23 eff possible SYN flooding on port 9889. Sending cookies

9889 is the port I'm using mpd on. What could be the cause for this?

that's interesting: my idea is that the mpd port is open to the entire Internet, so there's a possibility that something (a worm, a hacker...) tries to access it in a malicious way that kills the sound. It's just an idea... and I am not a firewall/iptables expert, so I don't know what should be done to protect the port better...

may the Source be with you

#7 2008-03-25 17:52:54

TheBodziO
Website

Do you still experience problems with mpd? At my side after recent kernel updates mpd again pauses, stops and plays as it should. I haven't checked softmixing since I don't use it (one sound source is enough smile) but with a little bit of luck maybe your problems were sorted out too with the same updates. At least I hope so.

#8 2008-03-27 16:59:05

olleg

Well, actually last week everything is just fine smile

#9 2008-04-02 22:25:45

TheBodziO
Website

That's the upgrades for 'ya wink

Board footer