You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-29 02:17:00

timm

Sound gone after update - no such file or directory

I updated my mythtv machine tonight, sound is gone.  I get an arts informational message that "device: default can't be opened for  playback (no such file or directory)

Sound was working fine before the upgrade.

I got some alsa errors right after upgrade, just before the logon screen, but couldn't locate them in any log.  I reran alsaconf and it seemed to set up fine.  Running alsamixer gives me just one column, (playback) rather than the multiple mixer columns I had previously.  alsactl store does not save the setting I put in here.

The upgrades included ivtv-utils; there was something about using jack as a control; I'm still trying to figure out exactly what jack is and how it might fit into all of this, but I downloaded and ran qjackctl, it failed with error messages.

[bump]

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [CX8801         ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
                      Conexant CX8801 at 0xfb000000

but there is also a 82801H ICH8 Family HD Audio Controller on this machine.  The module snd_hda_intel is loaded according to lsmod.

This thread

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43755

may be related.

Last edited by timm (2008-02-29 03:50:30)

#2 2008-04-04 02:48:42

QuimaxW
Website

Re: Sound gone after update - no such file or directory

I'm not an expert, but I do have experience with the cx88xx cards and sound. Mine is an NVidia force 2 board, but I believe it still uses the snd-intel module.

Do you get sound in any other applications besides myth?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

Board footer