You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-05 22:04:51

bender02

Teatimers - new and old

Being fond of a good tea, and not so fond of an oversteeped tea, long time ago I found a kde app kteatime. A tea timer. When you pour water over your tea, start the timer, and it beeps/pops up a message when your tea is ready. I know... any timer would do, but this one has this nice cup sitting in the tray... animation... (Actually, when I installed linux on my own computer, this was the reason for me to use KDE.) It's a part of kdetoys package, or kdemod-kdetoys-kteatime.

After using gnome for a while, I missed it, so started looking for a replacement, so that I don't have to load the heavy kdelibs everytime I just want to use kteatime. I found a gnome version (not so nice, admittedly) teatime-applet (it's in AUR, depends on some gnome libs).

This is the point I wanted to get to: bwalle programmed pyteatime (in AUR, depends on PyGTK and python-notify). A nice replacement for the previous two, although it still misses a few features (like showing progress during timing, entering own teas/adjusting timing), but looks promising. Try it out!

Now finally, since I use xmonad, I don't have a system tray. What now? I put together a trivial script, which can be run through e.g. dmenu (or built-in xmonad's app launcher) like this: "teatimer.sh 2 30", and after 2 minutes and 30 seconds it shows up a message (using xosd; EDIT: playsound is in sdl_sound; and you should replace /data/mp3/notify.ogg with your favorite beep).

#!/bin/dash
sleep $1m $2s
playsound /data/mp3/notify.ogg &
echo "TeaTimer --- pay attention to the tea, you daffodil!" | osd_cat -A center -p bottom -c green -d 10 -o 40 -f '-*-dejavu serif-bold-r-*-*-33-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' -s 2 -

Drink tea, listen to silence.

Last edited by bender02 (2008-04-06 01:56:47)

#2 2008-04-06 01:38:22

MoonSwan

Re: Teatimers - new and old

Very cute script Bender.  Thank you I may try this, even if I do use KDE, and I presume it would work fine with fluxbox.

#3 2008-04-06 05:34:58

elgatofelix

Re: Teatimers - new and old

Haha, u could (if u have the knowledge) build on top / complement your script with the LINUX-COFFE-MACHINE http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Coffee.html

Now that would be terrific hmm

Are u listening?

Board footer