You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-05 20:20:42

diamondmind

[SOLVED] Video capture hardware

I'm having some issues getting this card to play nice with Linux. A couple of the NewEgg reviews say it works well with Linux / MythTV (even though it doesn't have a TV tuner) but I haven't had such luck.

When I follow the guides and wiki pages I haven't been able to get past the part that sets up the channels and other PVR stuff. Are there any guides out there that show how to do simple video capture?

I know that's not much info but I'm not really sure where I'm stuck? hmm I'm fairly confident the card *will* work, I'm just not sure how to get there. tongue

Last edited by diamondmind (2008-04-07 02:41:11)

#2 2008-04-07 02:40:41

diamondmind

Re: [SOLVED] Video capture hardware

I figured it out about an hour after I made the previous post. big_smile

I poked around more in the output of dmesg and from this:

# dmesg | grep cx

I found the following:

cx88/0: cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.6 loaded
cx88[0]: Your board has no valid PCI Subsystem ID and thus can't
cx88[0]: be autodetected.  Please pass card=<n> insmod option to
cx88[0]: workaround that.  Redirect complaints to the vendor of
cx88[0]: the TV card.  Best regards,
cx88[0]:         -- tux

After looking through the rest of the output of dmesg I determined that the card number for my particular card was 14. Armed with that I did the following:

# modprobe -r cx8800
# modprobe -r cx88xx

to remove the modules, then reinserted them:

# modprobe -i cx88xx card=14
# modprobe -i cx8800

Then I fired up mythtv-setup again and did the following:

* Capture Card Setup: set to "Analog V4L capture card" for the card type and it now popped up with the right information under Probed info
* Video Sources: set Listings grabber to "No grabber"
* Input Connections: Used Composite1 from the card I setup in the previous step and then used "Scan for channels" and it crashed on me, but when I restarted mythtv-setup it worked so I'm not really sure what happened. I set the starting channel to 2 and used defaults for the other screens.

I had to then setup the database and start the mysql daemon like it says in the MythTV guides on the ArchWiki.

Then I started mythbackend in a terminal

$mythbackend

Then I ran mythfrontend from another terminal

$ mythfrontend

And voila when I went to "Watch TV" I was able to see what was playing on my camcorder. smile

Anyway, kind of long and confusing / disorganized I'm sure, but hopefully it'll someone along the way. smile

Board footer