You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-03 22:48:21

B-Con
Website

Firefox scrolling glitchy on occation

For some reason, some sites do not scroll well in Firefox. Examples include Digg and regular-expessions.info . Scrolling on those sites has something like a 2 second delay from when I scroll my middle wheel and when the page actually jumps to the right place (unsmoothly).

Any ideas why this could be? I'm wondering if this has something to do with JavaScript-intensive sites, since I know Digg uses plenty of it.

#2 2008-04-05 11:14:24

Lexion

Re: Firefox scrolling glitchy on occation

If you are using a smooth scroll plugin, then a little slowness is expected.
If not, then you are probably scrolling while the page is still loading, in which
case, firefox has better things to do that scroll down to an unloaded page.

If it's an actual problem, I have no idea... (that's not saying much).

urxvtc / wmii / zsh / configs / onebluecat.net
Arch will not hold your hand

#3 2008-04-05 15:55:41

I experience the same thing, at first I just thought that it was a matter of much resource being eaten, but when I monitor my systems performance while visiting regular-expressions.info it seems like firefox doesn't consume so much cpu+ram.

But when scrolling, the cpu usage jumps from ~5% to 100% yikes

It seems like having smoothscrolling activated actually helps, since it removes the scroll command "buffer" so it stops scrolling soon after I stop scrolling (having it inactivated on the other hand can make the scrolling continue for a while)... hmm

#4 2008-04-05 21:07:35

B-Con
Website

Lexion wrote:

If you are using a smooth scroll plugin, then a little slowness is expected.
If not, then you are probably scrolling while the page is still loading, in which
case, firefox has better things to do that scroll down to an unloaded page.

If it's an actual problem, I have no idea... (that's not saying much).

I wish it were that simple. Pages are fully loaded, and it's always the same pages/sites that scroll slowly.

1311219 wrote:

I experience the same thing, at first I just thought that it was a matter of much resource being eaten, but when I monitor my systems performance while visiting regular-expressions.info it seems like firefox doesn't consume so much cpu+ram.

But when scrolling, the cpu usage jumps from ~5% to 100% yikes

It seems like having smoothscrolling activated actually helps, since it removes the scroll command "buffer" so it stops scrolling soon after I stop scrolling (having it inactivated on the other hand can make the scrolling continue for a while)... hmm

Same here. Firefox CPU usage jumps from 6% to 27% just loading the page, then falls to 6%, then jumps to 45% on scrolling.

Something funky is going on here. The reason why I wonder if it's somewhat unique to me is that this also happens to Digg, and I'm surprised that more people haven't mentioned something like this if this is how Digg works for everyone.

#5 2008-04-07 17:09:13

I am not having any problems with Digg, but the regex site seems troublesome, and it seems like it has nothing to do with scripts and similar (NoScript plugin), nor do I see any errors in the error console... sad

#6 2008-04-07 17:33:29

lzs

You could try the ff 3 beta from the unstable repo. The beta is much smoother, however as a beta it has it's drawbacks too.

#7 2008-04-07 17:56:46

ozar

B-con... not sure it would be the same in your case, but I experienced the same issue for quite some time using the Firefox from the extra repo, but I finally switched to the Firefox package from the mozilla site and all those scroll issues went away immediately.

oz

#8 2008-04-07 18:22:05

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Disable pango or don't use a dejavu font, if you can live without either.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

Board footer