You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-07 20:27:31

ethos

Installation Bug??? : Can't Select Packages

I have already read the Beginner's Guide, my problem is that I prepared the HD according to the guide, and when I go to select the packages, and I select all  packages by default and then hit install packages. It tells me I need to select the packages first? Tried selecting them manually but it just puts me back at the main menu. Anyone know what is wrong here? It may help that before when I tried to Auto-Prepare the drive it was giving me a /dev/tty5 error. If I can pull the network numbers off this computer, can someone show me how to setup my network so I can go back and do a FTP/HTTP install to get the packages, if there is no solution? I am just directly connect to a router on a AMD Athlon 64. I am using the i686 arch, because I'm not positive if my cpu supports 64 or not, tried running a livecd for gentoo and it wouldn't run on a good burn.

Thanks all, really looking forward to getting arch up and running.

#2 2008-04-07 20:44:19

ybotspawn

Re: Installation Bug??? : Can't Select Packages

Why dont you try again and not using auto prepare but instead cfdisk?

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway,
why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention. "

#3 2008-04-07 20:45:24

ethos

Alright, so far I have manage to auto-config my network and select the packages, someone should mention in the install or guide that SPACE is the select button. Its not mention in the seleect packages page, but is mention in other tabs? mistake? When I try to install the packages how ever and it asked me if i want to save the downloaded ones, I hit yes and it tells me some of them were lost or something. Now that I know how to select I'll try installing through my CD.

#4 2008-04-07 20:53:27

ethos

That wasn't my problem, I already realized that and did it through cfdisk, it worked find. My problem is later on. I fixed it thougt, was able to connect to the FTP and download and install packages. Now I'm working on installing the GRUB bootloader.

#5 2008-04-07 21:05:33

ethos

When I'm installing the GRUB bootloader, after I set vga= to whatever it asks me which partition/boot device am I going to install GRUB on, I have my B harddrive partition into 3 sections; boot, swap, and /home. But my options are between sdb, sdb1, sdb2, sdb3. Do I want sdb or sdb1? When I tried it on sdb it gave me a /dev/tty5 error.

#6 2008-04-07 21:12:21

ethos

Figured that one out too, you want to select sdb in my case and then when it says the full path of the whatever directory, you want sdb1 in my case. That will produce success for anyone happening upon this.

#7 2008-04-07 22:57:00

koch

*lol* it is great that you solve your probs by yourself but there is one more you got to challenge: the edit-button. big_smile

Board footer