You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-11 18:13:34

genisis300

Gambas

Hi All,

I'm starting to look into Developing Programs for Linux and i'm currently try to pick an envoirement.

I've looked at Python with the GTK and QT modules spent a lot of time trying to work out the GTK and QT sides without much luck so far.

i've also been interested in the Gamabas Project and was just wondering your thoughts on it?

do you think it's an acceptable choice? or should i go straight for Python?

Any suggestions are welcome smile

Thanks
Matthew

forgot to add my back ground was with VB and .NET before i broke up with windows tongue

Last edited by genisis300 (2008-03-11 18:21:41)

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

#2 2008-03-11 20:18:17

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Re: Gambas

Hello!

If, you still want to do .NET, you can use monodevelop.
I used it for C#/Gtk# and this is a fine IDE.

I've personnally switch to C++/ Qt 4.
Qt4 is relly powerful imho and my application work on linux, windows and probably on mac too.

@+

#3 2008-03-11 20:55:25

sweiss

There's always Java, if you have .NET background.
It should be close enough.

As for Gambas vs. Python, I'd go with Python if I were you.
Python is simply more popular, and a good enough language.

#4 2008-03-11 21:34:25

Zacho

genisis300 wrote:

i've also been interested in the Gamabas Project and was just wondering your thoughts on it?

I think gambas is pretty good if you want to do simple GUI programs really fast. It is very similar to VB. I wouldn't use it for anything serious programming though.

#5 2008-04-08 06:01:15

dabski
Website

I used Gambas 2 myself some time back and its fairly easy to pick up especially if you've had some VB experience. It all depends on what you want to program, the scripting languages though easy always have that extra overhead from being interpreted as opposed to using something like plain c which is compiled into machine code. That being said the scripting languages are quite adequate for most tasks were performance is not an issue e.g. simple GUI applications. Gambas is pretty cool though, you can also do console applications with it and depending what DE your using if you need a GUI it can use either GTK or Qt.

Board footer