You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-09 17:15:04

Haakon
Member
From: Bergen, Norway
Registered: 2004-05-09
Posts: 109

pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

This morning, before I had a chance to finish my coffee, I dabbled around with pacman. There was a package I wanted to remove, but numbed though my brain were, the only word that could occopy my mind was "pacman". So I typed 'pacman -R pacman' and numbely pressed enter, my mind turning to coffee.

"Oh," said pacman, "I hadn't thought of that," and vanished in a puff of logic.

I hesitate to submit a bug report on this, but I really, really think there should be at least a "Warning! This will decapitate your system with severe prejudice, please type 'YES, I REALLY WANT THIS' to proceed". This way, if you really (in some moment of cognicient depravity) want to use pacman to remove pacman, you still can.

Thanks to good friends at #archlinux I reinstated pacman and all is well.


Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

Offline

#2 2004-07-10 00:20:46

Xentac
Forum Fellow
From: Victoria, BC
Registered: 2003-01-17
Posts: 1,797
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

Haakon wrote:

"Oh," said pacman, "I hadn't thought of that," and vanished in a puff of logic.

The fact that I can't remember the paragraphs around that quote (pseudo quote?) tells me I should read more Douglas Adams...


I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Offline

#3 2004-07-13 14:51:49

rubber-ducko
Member
From: Oslo, Norway
Registered: 2004-07-13
Posts: 16

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

Hahaha, how the hell did you in the first place manage to even think to use the -R on pacman... I'm sure he was pretty pist off on you when he was back, aye?


sum sum

Offline

#4 2004-07-13 15:35:46

Bobonov
Member
From: Roma - Italy
Registered: 2003-05-07
Posts: 295

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

That paragraph was about demonstarting taht God does not exist.
It was a philosophical discussion between God and a philosopher about the babel fish.
Since you have to trust in the existence of God without evidence and the babel fish is so perfect that god could have created it therefore God does not exist, and God vanished in a puff of logic.
It was more or less like this.

About pacman -R pacman
I think it is more a philosophical question if it can remove itself or not.
Fortunatly something like
pacman -R *
does not work, or at least I hope I didn't try it    wink

Offline

#5 2004-07-13 16:19:53

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,366
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

so you want a shell in what if you write:

rm -rf /

it gives back:

Hi root, can you please confirm your command by pressing at the same time CTRL-F1-AltGr-Home-T, so that i can be sure you for sure intended to do this?

:-)

... as long as it is not possible to run pacman -R pacman as normal user, its ok i think


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#6 2004-07-13 18:59:09

Haakon
Member
From: Bergen, Norway
Registered: 2004-05-09
Posts: 109

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

I disagree, it's not OK. In 999 out of 1000 cases, 'pacman -R pacman' is a destructive command that puts the user in a situation he doesn't want to be in. (Btw, statistic fact may or may not have been invented on the fly). I think that's worth at least a quick "are you sure?" from pacman.[/b]


Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

Offline

#7 2004-07-13 19:05:46

Xentac
Forum Fellow
From: Victoria, BC
Registered: 2003-01-17
Posts: 1,797
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

How about this?  After we get 999 complaints about people removing pacman with said command, we implement the feature?

Either that or you do it and submit a feature request.


I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Offline

#8 2004-07-13 21:11:37

Haakon
Member
From: Bergen, Norway
Registered: 2004-05-09
Posts: 109

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

Ok people, I need 999 volunteers! j/k smile

Yes, I see your point. I have looked at the pacman source on several occations, not making much of it. C is not my strong point.


Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

Offline

#9 2004-07-13 21:15:43

sarah31
Member
From: Middle of Canada
Registered: 2002-08-20
Posts: 2,975
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

haakon,

i agree with you that it should not be possible to easily execute such a request. but as Xentac says file a feature request. There is no need for you to try and hack a patch from the code if you do not understand it. feature requests are a part of the bug tracker.


AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Offline

#10 2004-07-14 09:01:15

orelien
Forum Fellow
From: France
Registered: 2002-12-05
Posts: 220
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

IMO, extending this feature request to a configurable list of sensible packages would be more interesting, because pacman is not that sensible compared to some other packages (to my mind, glibc removal is possibly the worst thing than can occur...)
An new option in pacman.conf to specify to remove a list of given package only with user confirmation could be nice:

[options]
HoldPkg = kernel glibc pacman

Thoughts?

Offline

#11 2004-07-14 15:32:12

sarah31
Member
From: Middle of Canada
Registered: 2002-08-20
Posts: 2,975
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

sounds practical since, as you say, there is more than just pacman that is silly to remove.


AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Offline

#12 2004-07-14 15:57:43

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,366
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

orelien wrote:

IMO, extending this feature request to a configurable list of sensible packages would be more interesting, because pacman is not that sensible compared to some other packages (to my mind, glibc removal is possibly the worst thing than can occur...)
An new option in pacman.conf to specify to remove a list of given package only with user confirmation could be nice:

[options]
HoldPkg = kernel glibc pacman

Thoughts?

this makes sense - extending your feature request to something like this, would be great

EssentialPkgs = glibc ...

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#13 2004-07-14 16:38:07

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
From: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Registered: 2004-01-18
Posts: 5,986
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

I think the true moral of the story is not to restrict pacman, but to remind all users to drink their coffee before working on Linux. wink

measure twice, cut once, think three times.

Dusty

Offline

#14 2004-07-14 17:01:18

Haakon
Member
From: Bergen, Norway
Registered: 2004-05-09
Posts: 109

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

I find that offensive! I'll have you know I'm perfectly capable of acting moronic even after coffee.

I'll submit that wish report later on (I tried registering with notifications to my jabber account, but that didn't seem to work). Thanks for great suggestions in this thread.


Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

Offline

#15 2004-07-14 17:38:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
From: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Registered: 2004-01-18
Posts: 5,986
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

Haakon wrote:

I find that offensive! I'll have you know I'm perfectly capable of acting moronic even after coffee.

Hmmm. something stronger perhaps? smile

Dusty

Offline

#16 2004-07-14 18:07:19

Haakon
Member
From: Bergen, Norway
Registered: 2004-05-09
Posts: 109

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

Alright, here is my report. It includes orelient's generalization.


Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

Offline

#17 2004-07-14 18:12:39

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,366
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

Dusty wrote:

I think the true moral of the story is not to restrict pacman, but to remind all users to drink their coffee before working on Linux. wink

measure twice, cut once, think three times.

Dusty

drugs are not the solution!!!


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#18 2004-07-14 18:13:02

dp
Member
From: Zürich, Switzerland
Registered: 2003-05-27
Posts: 3,366
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

Haakon wrote:

Alright, here is my report. It includes orelient's generalization.

great


The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Offline

#19 2004-07-14 20:23:30

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
From: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Registered: 2004-01-18
Posts: 5,986
Website

Re: pacman -R pacman (do not try this at home)

dp wrote:

drugs are not the solution!!!

True enough... I don't even need coffee to keep me from removing pacman. wink

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB