You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-04 19:43:58

molinero

gdm after upgrade

I am having problems with gdm after the recent large upgrade. If I have gdm in my daemons list in rc.conf and boot the computer - then I can't use my keyboard! Thats right - I can't even do a Ctrl+alt+F1 - nothing works except the mouse. The gdm theme has also changed.

If I on the other hand boot and then start gdm manually with sh /etc/rc.d/gdm start on a root prompt - then my keyboard works fine and I can log into gnome. The theme is still a problem though.

Does anybody know anything about this?

#2 2005-10-04 20:01:20

Mythoz

Re: gdm after upgrade

molinero wrote:

I am having problems with gdm after the recent large upgrade. If I have gdm in my daemons list in rc.conf and boot the computer - then I can't use my keyboard! Thats right - I can't even do a Ctrl+alt+F1 - nothing works except the mouse. The gdm theme has also changed.

Yup, had same problem. GDM is configured for automatic terminal allocation. But at boot time agetty does not spawn fast enough, so there are no terminals to allocate and GDM behaves strange.

To solve this issue just edit /opt/gnome/etc/gdm/gdm.conf:
  - search for "VTAllocation" and set it to "false"
  - search for the line "0=Standard" in the "[servers]" section and add "vt7" to it, so it schold look like: "0=Standard vt7"

The theme is still a problem though.

It's really easy to change. There is a "configure" button somewhere.

#3 2005-10-05 08:48:27

Moo-Crumpus

Could be a feature request at flyspy... Good to know, Mythoz.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#4 2008-04-08 16:44:38

nhozemphtekh

hi, i have this prob too. but i can ctrl alt f1 to get the console

the gdm.conf is complety empty, i have no idea what to do

any ideas how to fix it?

#5 2008-04-08 19:45:33

tigrmesh
IRC Op

You can also start gdm using the inittab method instead of running gdm as a daemon:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Add … on_startup.

To change the theme, go to System > Administration > Login Window.

@nhozemphtekh - There is no gdm.conf.  Are you using nano?  Nano will put you into an empty file when the specified file does not exist.  Run
locate gdm
(if you don't have locate set up, run - as root - updatedb first).  Pay particular attention to the files in the /etc/gdm and /usr/share/gdm.  Also, every theme has an xml file, where you can specify colors, font sizes, etc.  Look in the themes directory.

#6 2008-04-08 20:41:50

nhozemphtekh

i dont have idea what i need to do in order to make the keyboard work on the login screen. do you mean that using that inittab method will solve the issue?

im so lost, mby i should try easier distro sad

Board footer