You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-09 19:12:01

moto211

Installation snag after installing KDE

so, i'm following the installation instructions in the Beginners Guide.  i get all the way to the installing a desktop environment part without any problems.  i change ~/.xinitrc to have only exec startkde uncommented and install the full kde packages.  when i get to the part about switching to a normal user and running startx to test the new DE, it shows the Nvidia splash screen and then comes back to the command line and shows an error about there being a problem with the exec startkde statement in my .xinitrc

i've previously done a successful install using the kde DE but decided to do a fresh install for various reasons and now i have gotten stuck at this same point three times.  after getting stuck the first and second times, i started fresh to make sure that i didn't screw up a step.  but this time i'm absolutely positive that i have followed all of the instructions without error and i am still encountering the same problem.  does anyone know what i can do to get past this?

#2 2008-04-09 23:23:58

moto211

Re: Installation snag after installing KDE

is no one willing to help because they think this is a newb question?  or is it because no one else has encountered this problem?  i highly doubt it is the second of those two possibilities.  please, i'm open to suggestions here.  i've had Arch installed before and really liked it and i just want to get it going again.  i assure you that i'm not just posting here without exhausting all possibilities that i can think of.  i know that this problem is not due to any inability on my part when it comes to following directions.

#3 2008-04-11 14:57:19

ghostHack

It would be useful if you could post the actual text of the error message from X.

In the mean time, a few possibilities spring to mind:

Firstly, you say you re-installed, was this from an older ISO? if so check that when you did your first pacman -Syu that you correctly merged any .pacnew files that were mentioned in the pacman output and log.  In particular look for a /etc/profile.pacnew, if it is there move it to /etc/profile, if you have made any changes to /etc/profile yourself make sure you carry them over to the new version if appropriate.

Second, there was a problem a little while back where /tmp was created with the wrong permissions, do an

ls -l /

and look for the tmp line, the permissions should read

drwxrwxrt

if they don't then do (as root)

chmod 1777 /tmp

Thirdly, are you sure that you edited your user's copy of .xinitrc and not root's?

Fourth, KDE installs into /opt so startkde is probably not in your user's path, try changing the line in .xinitrc to

exec /opt/kde/bin/startkde

#4 2008-04-11 23:25:29

moto211

first off, to answer your question, i used the newest stable iso available.  i also did a ftp install to ensure that everything would be up to date and there was nothing to merge when i did the pacman -Syu.

second, i don't know why it worked, but i did another reinstall and hit the same snag that i hit before.  this time though, i rebooted and executed the same startx command (as a regular user, of course) and for some reason it worked!

thank you, ghostHack for trying to help, but its no longer needed.

Board footer