You are not logged in.

#1 2002-09-14 10:45:55

Arielext
Website

I screwed up big time :(

Had to make some space and deleted just a bit to much ... woops
is there a way to pacman a whole new fresh Arch on my system?

I don't want to delete everything cause I don't want to loose my documents and "improvements" I've made.

I'm thinking of

pacman -S `/bin/ls'

in the /usr/abs directory, but will that work?

apt-get install arch

#2 2002-09-14 16:39:18

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: I screwed up big time :(

Arielext wrote:

I'm thinking of

pacman -S `/bin/ls'

in the /usr/abs directory, but will that work?

Not quite, as there are no packages directly under /usr/abs, only categories (packages are one level deeper).  If you account for that, you can install every package we have by running through all the categories in /usr/abs, but that will probably install more than you want.

Do you still have the pacman database intact?  If so, you can use all the entries in /var/lib/pacman/local as your package list.

#3 2002-09-15 17:08:20

ody
Website

wouldnt a simple `pacman -Syu` do the job? aslong as your package database hasnt been rm -rf'ed pacman should easily update all the pacakges u had installed witch will replace all those u deleted.

#4 2002-09-15 17:18:52

Arielext
Website

What i did was the following

try to run everything, and re-install the packages which gave problems ...
only perl and gtk needed to be re-installed so I'm back

apt-get install arch

#5 2002-09-16 20:33:03

Arielext
Website

... the story continues

I've installed the new kernel package
but forgot to run lilo

now when my Arch tries to boot up it decompresses the Arch kernel and stops right there.

decompressing kernel ....................

I got myself a coffee, and another one
did a reset (you never know, it's a microsoft trick wink)
but nothing. So now I have to get out my Archlinux cd, buut it up, mount my drive to /tmp ... but then what?
can I lilo the mbr?

[edit] neat smile micro soft is automaticly translated big_smile[/eidt]

apt-get install arch

#6 2002-09-16 21:19:37

apeiro
Daddy
Website

A common mistake, I've done it too.  Just boot up with the boot cd, just like you were going to do an install.  Then mount your / and /boot (if you have one) partitions under /mnt and edit the /mnt/etc/lilo.conf.  Then mount devfs on /mnt/dev and re-install lilo.  Let's say that part1 is my /boot partition and part3 is my /.

# mount /dev/discs/disc0/part3 /mnt
# mount /dev/discs/disc0/part1 /mnt/boot
# vi /mnt/etc/lilo.conf
# mount -t devfs none /mnt/dev
# lilo -r /mnt
# umount /mnt/dev /mnt/boot /mnt
# reboot

The -r switch makes lilo do a 'chroot' to the /mnt directory before installing the bootloader, which is why you need to mount /dev under /mnt/dev so it will be found by lilo.

HTH

#7 2002-09-17 06:17:03

Sp00n

yeah i had the prob too, only mine  happen when i was looking for the source for your kernel, i thought u guys had your own source like suse or drake. so i thought maybee its in kernel pkg. so i install it and to my delight one morning in class i boot up and it stalls there. lucky me i got recover disks in my backpack. bust them out, mount and chroot and all that good stuff to find that..............................................................................................................................................................my ENTIRE /boot/ dir was erased and nothing it, not a single thing. still had the kernel pkg in cache tho smile

#8 2002-09-18 15:19:06

Arielext
Website

Apeiro: I treid your code but no such luck. It complained that it coudn't find a /boot/map
So I tried some other lilo based stuff, rebooted the system and ... "general harddisk error"  or something like that sad

Used my arch 0.2 cd and " installed"  everything again, of course pacman didn't install anything since it was already on the system. After that I ran lilo again.

And now ... everything is back again, up, running and compiling mozilla 1.2a smile

apt-get install arch

Board footer