You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-13 13:33:20

TjPhysicist
Website

first AUR submit (Solved)

Hi,
I have jst started using Arch a little while back. I have discovered that the new version of wine does not seem to exist in the repo, i compiled a version using abs, and makepkg. I now have a file ending in .pkg.tar.gz.

I tried to submit it using the web interface a couple of times. There are no errors nothing, it jst loads for a long time, and then eventually stops and comes back to the submit page (all fields now default). I tried checking for the package, but it is not there. perhaps i am doing smthg wrong?

I tried using aurup it returned this:

[tharihar@TjsLaptop ~]$ aurup wine-0.9.59-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz emulators
wine-0.9.59-1-i686.pkg: 

(unflagged out of date) (added to notify list)

I checked AUR again and still nothing under my name, and no 0.9.59 under wine either.

I am pretty sure given some time someone will come up with aa pkg for new wine version, but i would like to know how to do this, since I would like to give back to the Arch community.
Thx.

-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-04-13 14:15:31)

-Tj
Now reborn as Tjh_ (to keep it similar to my username in other places)

#2 2008-04-13 13:40:47

dolby

Re: first AUR submit (Solved)

you should read the wiki on AUR.
you cant upload compiled packages
plus uploading packages in official repos with the same name is against the rules

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2008-04-13 14:11:57

TjPhysicist
Website

dolby wrote:

you should read the wiki on AUR.
you cant upload compiled packages
plus uploading packages in official repos with the same name is against the rules

ok it was the same name thing, i kept changing the name of the gz file rather than the name in the PKGBUILD. well forget i asked the question, its uploaded now. under the name win0959 (i couldn't think of another name). I shd jst have mailed the TU with the new PKGBUILD for wine i suppose but whatever.

-Tj

#4 2008-04-13 14:26:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

AUR User Guidelines wrote:

Check [extra], [core], [unstable], UNSUPPORTED, and [community] for the package. If it is inside any of those repositories in ANY form, DO NOT submit the package

That's what the AUR Guidelines say on this subject. IMO "in ANY form" includes spurious package name changes like the above, although I am aware that it has become a widespread practice these days. It's up to the TUs anyway - if you wanted to mail your PKGBUILD to somebody, it would be the Arch dev who maintains the wine package.

#5 2008-04-13 14:53:59

Stefan Husmann

...it has become a widespread practice these days.

I do not think this is a widespread practice. Packages of this kind do not survive very long.

#6 2008-04-13 15:35:13

TjPhysicist
Website

tomk wrote:
AUR User Guidelines wrote:

Check [extra], [core], [unstable], UNSUPPORTED, and [community] for the package. If it is inside any of those repositories in ANY form, DO NOT submit the package

That's what the AUR Guidelines say on this subject. IMO "in ANY form" includes spurious package name changes like the above, although I am aware that it has become a widespread practice these days. It's up to the TUs anyway - if you wanted to mail your PKGBUILD to somebody, it would be the Arch dev who maintains the wine package.

Actually technically the wine package in the official repo's are different from the one i submitted. The one i submitted being 0.9.59, does that still count? I wasn't entirely sure. I searched around all repos for the latest wine and found that the latest one maintained in [extra] as it turns out, is 0.9.56.  Rather than wait for someone to put the latest one out into extra, i just thought i might as well give in my first AUR pkgbuild. I am very keen on having my wine ALWAYS bleeding edge since i play a lot of games and do not have windows box anymore, so i will be updating wine on my PC as soon as the next one comes out. Its not an extra effort to submit the pkgbuild first  so then i can jst use yaourt to update my wine.

-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-04-13 15:39:09)

-Tj

#7 2008-04-13 16:44:18

berbae

The packages in the official repositories are under their maintainer's responsibility. They update/upgrade them as necessary. All you can do is to flag a package 'out of date' and the maintainer will be mailed to check for a new version and possible problems with it.
If you want to update before the new version is put in the repo, you can do it, but only for yourself, modifying the PKGBUILD from the abs or in other ways, on your machine only. And when the package is officially released in the Arch repo, you can re-install the Arch package in place of yours again.
To contribute to the AUR, you have to choose some program which is not already there or a form of a program which is somewhat different (other than the version) from the official one.
You can see it by looking in the AUR package list.
I wish you good times with Arch Linux.

Board footer